Brunhilde refurb update

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
chasbmw

Re: Brunhilde refurb update

Post by chasbmw »

I'm seriously out of balance, suddenly got hit by a dose of labyrinthitis, was driving on the M5 at the time, ended up in hospital! Not very nice, good thing I was not on the bike!

We can still get FH/SS to rise to the bait if you rubbish 336 cams...
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
ontic

Post by ontic »

As per email discussions I'm very impressed with the seat (and Brun) Charlie,
it grows on me more every time I look at it. Bravo. The turn around between popping the thing in the mail and receiving a finished photo was impressive. It was surprising that Auspost even managed their half of the bargain that quick!
Being able to flat footand bend the knees on my R90 I've always been impressed with how you've handled old Brun when she's got her load on- with a lower seat and wider bars she's going to feel like a different woman when things get rough and hairy :D

Chas, sometimes I wonder who baits who with old SS. A week or two after the dust has settled from the last tuning dogfight, SS starts poking his 336 in wherever he can fit it. Just trying to help of course. The storm seems to be building again right about now. :D
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Hi Charlie, Very nice joinery. Used, repurposed and cast off materials are high on my list as well. In fact, I think my quiver of tools shows a certain leaning in that direction as opposed to the tool selection of someone who buys new materials for all his projects.

When I look at the bike and imagine the rack gracing the rear fender, my eye leads me straight to the idea of flattening the top of that fender before attaching the rack. I doubt the tire ever gets within three inches of the top of the fender. Taking off one and a half to two inches probably wouldn't hurt a thing and it would give a nice proportional relationship to the rack/seat.

Maybe that would be too Goldwingish. :)

Chuey
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Charles, I had to look up Labyrinthitis - as you say, you are lucky to have been on 4 wheels. I hope your normally well-balanced self returns.

Thanks, Hans. I am loving the extra purchase on the ground and manoeuvrability, and as always, look forward to trying her out in the 'rough and hairy' bits. I dug out this pic of our ladies on that run to the Duck etc a couple of years ago ...

The proposed new luggage system is going to be so much more refined, or at least more suited to Brun's new image. My image will, of course, doggedly remain much the same. I can't wait to tip her over in the mud. Again.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

Chuey wrote:Hi Charlie, Very nice joinery. Used, repurposed and cast off materials are high on my list as well. In fact, I think my quiver of tools shows a certain leaning in that direction as opposed to the tool selection of someone who buys new materials for all his projects.

When I look at the bike and imagine the rack gracing the rear fender, my eye leads me straight to the idea of flattening the top of that fender before attaching the rack. I doubt the tire ever gets within three inches of the top of the fender. Taking off one and a half to two inches probably wouldn't hurt a thing and it would give a nice proportional relationship to the rack/seat.

Maybe that would be too Goldwingish. :)

Chuey
Thanks Chuey. Along the way I did ponder flattening the fender. (BTW, we call 'em 'mudguards' after the British fashion. The term 'fender' sends the wrong messages about their actual function.) Anyways, I couldn't bring myself to butcher what is a reasonably sound item of the old girl's apparel. So the rack will just clear the curve of that mudguard. I've been doing some trial fitting, and in my eye it works just fine. Something I had to get over was that the subframe heads downhill to the rear and I am insisting that the rack be dead level when the bike is on the centre stand on flat ground. It is to be, after all, a useful surface for all manner of things.

I'm also making a saddlebag rack and new soft bags. Hopefully it will all fall into place as a coherent whole in some dimension or other. If not, the practical benefits will elevate it to something like beauty in my view. The whole exercise is very grin-making. Thanks for your input.
Charlie

Chuey

Post by Chuey »

And I would say that if you've been checking out the look, it can't be bad at all. You have an eye and you can always trust that it will lead you in the right direction.

Chuey
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Chuey wrote:. You have an eye and you can always trust that it will lead you in the right direction.Chuey
I saw Charlie the other day man. He's got two.
Lord of the Bings
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

I wondered who would be first to use that as a straight line. It very well could have been me if I hadn't been the one who wrote about having an eye.

I'm glad I didn't tell Charlie "Nice bike, Charlie, have a ball!".

Chuey
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

Hmm, Chuey as ME109's 'straight man'. It could work.
Charlie

Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Airbear wrote:Hmm, Chuey as ME109's 'straight man'. It could work.
Does he really need one. :lol:
Garnet