BMW Rear Mud Flap

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
esman100

BMW Rear Mud Flap

Post by esman100 »

I finally scored an original BMW rear mud flap and have seen them installed on the inside and on the outside of the fender. What is the correct way; inside or out :?: Thank you :!:
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion
gspd

Re: BMW Rear Mud Flap

Post by gspd »

INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-INSIDE-
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-
OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE-OUTSIDE- :D :D

Which bike?

Jeff, Grant and me (all 1981-2) have ours on the outside. Dwerbil is the only rider in here that has his on the inside, that I'm aware of. ...and gspd. It may be that different eras had them placed in opposite spots.
It makes sense from a aesthetics perspective to have them on the inside if you have a colour coded mudguard, but the design of the ones I have intuitively lends it to be attached on the outside. They are shaped to fit the outer mudguard.
Pictures from the UK I have show them on the outside also.
They go faster if they're on the outside.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I seem to think it was the outside. In any case, you can tell by the way it was made to fit. The originals had "bumps" to control where it would fold, or bend. It really only fit one way.

I can hardly believe that one could last that long, so I guess that they are still making them new.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Duane Ausherman wrote:I seem to think it was the outside. In any case, you can tell by the way it was made to fit. The originals had "bumps" to control where it would fold, or bend. It really only fit one way.

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
gspd

Post by gspd »

Duane Ausherman wrote: In any case, you can tell by the way it was made to fit. The originals had "bumps" to control where it would fold, or bend. It really only fit one way.
This time I disagree with Duaneman,
They fit improperly both ways,
They look better inside (re Dwerbil, except for the stickers)
Why hide the painted part of the fender? especially if the flap protects it from stone chips?
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
esman100

Post by esman100 »

Thank you for all the replies. Steve I'm installing it on my sweet '76 R90/6 daily rider for better PNW winter crud protection. The flap that I purchased on flea bay appears to be an OEM and is contoured for the outside just like yours. Since I have to drill holes into a very nice painted fender with white stripes I wanted your opinions to prevent screwing it up. I will take GSPD's suggestion and mount it on the inside to keep the stripes revealed if I can make it fit decently. Thanks again.
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I just hate it when gspd is "always right" again :)

They didn't fit well either way, but I remember that one way was better. It looked like the factory had "one way" in mind when they designed it.

Seems to me that it should go on the inside, as that is a better idea.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

That's how I'd do it with a painted guard too.
How well does it fit into the guard on the inside?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.