Turn signal pods

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
She'llbe

Turn signal pods

Post by She'llbe »

I have a set of aluminum turn signal pods. I notice they have different bulb holders than the plastic pods. Are the 2 interchangeable? If not, does anyone know where I can get a couple of the ones for the aluminum pods?
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
ontic

Re: Turn signal pods

Post by ontic »

the aluminium indicators earth through the pods to the forks- I assume this is not the case with the plastic ones (?). If so, then I imagine it would not be too hard to modifiy the plastic pod's bulb holders to do the same?

I found this out from one of my indicators that started to not work- a bit of wet and dry on the hole in the aluminium pod where it slots onto the mount fixed it up in no time.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Armaguidon13

Post by Armaguidon13 »

I've had grounds wire to my aluminium turn signals, this is easy as ther's all to connect wires
ontic

Post by ontic »

Having realised that my first post didn't make too much sense I just had a little dig in the shed to have a look inside my spare plastic indicators.
My thoughts were that if you had the plastic bulb holder with the positive and the negative wires (mine on the bike only have the positive with the negative just earthing through the pod- even though it has provisions for a negative wire) then you could just connect this plastic bulb holder, as usual, into your aluminium pod using both your wires. However, as you have probably realised, testing this it seems that the plastic bulb holder (which is plastic itself rather than alloy as the aluminium bulb holder is) doesn't actually want to fit into the aluminium pod.
Jeez that all sounds confusing to me :mrgreen:
I could squeeze it in most of the way but the problem seemed to be the ribs inside the aluminium pod. It seemed to me that the ribs would have to be removed from the aluminium pod as there is not enough material on the thin plastic bulb holder to start butchering it- not exactly an ideal situation.

heres a couple of photos

heres both compared to each other showing the rear of the holders. Plastic on top and aluminium on bike on bottom.

and here, blurry, for reference, is the other side of the alloy bulb holder you are looking for.

I do know that Ross G in Melbourne has recently got a 75/6 that he is wrecking. I am not sure if it has the aluminium or the plastic pods, or even if all of these survived the accident that led up to the bikes wrecking (the tank and most of half the bike didn't) but it might be worth a try. Other than that he might have some in stock anyway. You have his number don't you? Otherwise PM me.

Cheers,
Hans.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
hank0614

Post by hank0614 »

My experience with the /6 and later pods is that the later bulb holders do not fit in the /5-type pod bodies. The cutouts of the later bulb holders do not mate with the aluminum casting.

Hank
'72 R60
'95 K75S
Jean

Dying of curiosity...

Post by Jean »

What happened to the ORIGINAL bulb holders that were in the aluminum pods?
(As in...could they be repaired if you have them?)
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5