Rob Needs a New Brain

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
gspd

Re: Rob Needs a New Brain

Post by gspd »

justoneoftheguys wrote:... I took it to my mechanic (flashing O/D Off light at highway speed) and he pulled the dipstick and showed me all of the particulate matter in the not-so-red fluid. He said if we changed the fluid now, I would just loose that friction material, as well, and it would probably begin slipping even more. I asked about the possibility of a bad speed sensor (research), and he said possibly, if my speedometer dropped to zero. But no, it works just fine.
Would you invest $2500-3500 in getting this unit rebuilt? Not me.
Your mechanic is correct about changing the fluid now; if it's already slipping, it won't help and could even make it worse.
If the rest of the car is worth it, you could probably get a used tranny installed and get a few more years out of it.
Here that would cost about $1200 -$1500 installed with a 30 day warranty.

justoneoftheguys wrote: Motorcycling has become a one-way money pit for me these last two years, and I think I need some major bootstrap-pulling.
Motorcycling has been a money pit for me for 40 years, what's your point?
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

I know you've already decided to dump the Mazda, but, if you did want to keep it, installing a used tranny yourself would be the only choice even close to making financial sense.

Still wouldn't compare to that new Honda. :mrgreen:

Edit: See, everyone agrees.
MS - out
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Motorcycling has been a money pit for me for 40 years, what's your point?
It has been a 1-way trip for my investments - no riding in two years. No one to blame but myself, of course, but I think if I really wanted to be riding, I would have it on the road, by now.

The way I have begun viewing motorcycling has been evolving since my terrible crash two years ago, and I have a problem justifying the investment in a technology that is waning. I'm talking about petroleum powered vehicles for pleasure. Yes, I would love to be able to commute to work on a bike, but as Duane has pointed out so many times, if you already own another vehicle, also having a motorcycle is NOT saving you money on fuel costs, due to all of the other expenses.

And right now, in my life, I am concerned with expenses. I've $12,000 yet to go on my daughter's school loan I am paying off, and I am looking at acquiring another $10K real soon. Other than that, I am debt-free, except for rent and stipends to ex's (my choice).
It is my intent to pay off the car loan aggressively. I don't need a car payment if I end up living on a Wal-Mart greeter's salary. :)
Deleted User 287

Major Softie wrote:I know you've already decided to dump the Mazda, but, if you did want to keep it, installing a used tranny yourself would be the only choice even close to making financial sense.

Still wouldn't compare to that new Honda. :mrgreen:

Edit: See, everyone agrees.
The problem with installing a used tranny myself is I doubt I could get it done, although I would have the help of my nephew, which would be plenty. But then I would still have to sleep at night with another ticking bomb out in the driveway.
Auto transmissions are O.K., but ever since my first clutch, ('75 Pinto wagon) there was never any going back, really. Except when forced by circumstance.
I'm not letting "circumstance" come between me and the automobile of my choice, this time.

Borrowing money is the antithesis of Be Here Now. Die debt, die!!! (smiley of Rob shoveling money into a loan account)
Jean

Re: Rob Needs a New tranny, auto..what else??

Post by Jean »

OK.
BUT you already got a replacement tranny for the R65...what ELSE is wrong with it??
Or is/was it the crash...
I still get weirded-out when someone is ON the center line when I'm in a curve.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Deleted User 287

Re: Rob Needs a New tranny, auto..what else??

Jean wrote:OK.
BUT you already got a replacement tranny for the R65...what ELSE is wrong with it??
It's just waiting for me...
Steve in Golden

Re: Commuting by motorcycle

Post by Steve in Golden »

justoneoftheguys wrote:Yes, I would love to be able to commute to work on a bike, but as Duane has pointed out so many times, if you already own another vehicle, also having a motorcycle is NOT saving you money on fuel costs, due to all of the other expenses.
Duane is absolutely correct: you don't save any money commuting by motorcycle. But commuting by motorcycle is so much more fun, as long as the traffic isn't too bad. Most days, it's worth it in my book. Driving a cage car is boring.
It's all downhill from here. Except for the uphill bits.

Deleted User 287

For the 2nd day in a row, I have woken earlier than normal. Today I had an extra hour before I had to be at work, as well, so I decided to use the time to drain the gasoline from my fuel tank.

It is amazing how much more "accessible" the motorcycle seems in the afternoon when it is sunny and in the 70's, rather than after work at 5am when the temps are in the 40's.

I have Friday off work, this week. I may just get that input shaft lubed! ;)
Deleted User 287

1350 Wednesday!

I have the input splines lubed, the transmission fastened in place, and Gear Lube Installed!

I hooked up the clutch cable, AND THE LEVER DOES NOT RUB THE FRAME! :mrgreen:

to be continued...
esman100

Post by esman100 »

Woo hoo!!! You're almost riding...
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion