Ordering hesitations

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Lifebeat

Ordering hesitations

Post by Lifebeat »

Hello all!

Haven't been here at all for the past weeks, because of vacation AND building the everso important closed shed to house my Airhead and my two Vespas… Can't have them spend winter outside ;-)

So now, I'm gathering all the parts I need to make a major overhaul. I will do a big order at Motobins, and I'm trying to cram as much in there as I can.

I got the BMW auxiliary manual, with all the exploded drawings and part numbers. It has been a great help for cross reference and such. But there remains a gray area in my mind when it comes to ordering control cables and other components on the handlebars. For the majority of the all the other components, there is not much difference between the USA version and the European version in the book., When I get to the control cables, Motobins has choices of sport handlebars, or USA handlebars.

From what Duane comented on my original photos post, it appears that I have the "low" or "European" handlebars. Does this equate to the "sports" handlebars that Motobins refer to?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97761109@N03/9093076510/

Also, I wanted to get panniers for the bike, but don't have the frames to mount them on. I will probably go for Hepcos or Krauser if I can find them. Only thing is that If I order a new frame, or get one used on ebay, will the frames for the original Krauser panniers fit other makes of panniers like Hepco?

Thanks again for your enduring support!
Duane Ausherman

Re: Ordering hesitations

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I would be very surprised if any bag fits the frame of another brand. I have heard that some have modified to fit.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Jean

Post by Jean »

+1 Duane.
Hard bags need matching frames.
This CAN be a problem if you have an old bike and the matching frames don't come in your bike style.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Ken in Oklahoma

A sprinkling of compatibility notes.

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

I'm operating from memory here but I believe there are some compatibilities.

My '77 R100S came with those cast aluminum bag racks. I believe they are Krausers. The black painted racks also have that silver painted aluminum brace going from the bag mount to the rear subframe. Both the Krauser and BMW bags (also made by Krauser) with the seat belt latches fit just fine.

I also regard the "BMW" racks and the Krauser racks as being intercompatible.

For another example, my '82 RS came to me with what I believe to be BMW racks. The bike was fitted with N.O.S. Hepco Becker bags with the claw clamp (not seatbelt latch). By installing the proper (seatbelt latch) tongue on the frames it now takes the BMW and Krauser bags. I haven't done it yet but I will be fitting Krauser "City Cases" on the RS to maintain its svelte look.

In other words I believe any bags with the seat belt latches will fit any racks with the seat belt latches. And I think that the Hepco Becker claw latch bags will be compatible with any of the "seat belt" latch racks by simply removing the seat belt tongue from the rack.

Ken

Post by Deleted User 287 »

And yes, I can say with 90% certainty that "sport" handlebars are the equivalent to "low" or "Euro" bars.
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

Hepco make a good pannier frame that also includes a rear rack, bike seems to be stable when loaded. The Hepso Classic Panniers are an upgraded version of krausers. Worth the money I think. The main differances are to do with the latch that secures the panniers to the frame. The hepco latch has to date been very secure, which is more than could be said about the earlier Krausers. I have 2 bikes but only a single set of panniers between the 2

Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

That one piece Hepco Becker pannier frame looks very much like the one piece frames offered by BMW back in the day. I have one on my '77 R100/7 as well as my '76 R75/6. I like the frames very much for their sturdiness. Preferable to the two piece frames IMNSHO.

They look like they would be rather easy to install. They aren't. The mufflers have to come off. Sometimes that's not so easy of a job. Also, IIRC, the turn signals have to come off too.

Ken

Post by Lifebeat »

Thanks for all your input guys! I think I'll go with the Hepco frame and bags...

Regards!
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

Lifebeat wrote:Thanks for all your input guys! I think I'll go with the Hepco frame and bags...

Regards!
Make sure you get the right frames for the 'Classic panniers', there is smaller frame for sale for another type of pannier and when I did my ordering online it was not that obvious which was which.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Unless the Hepco is far stronger than the quite similar one from BMW (Krauser) then it will fall apart with any load at all.

People welded them up with stronger stuff and then they just broke a short distance away.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.