Walnut shell or soda blasting a wheel

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
DonW

Walnut shell or soda blasting a wheel

Post by DonW »

Hi again,

Working on cleaning up these spare wheels for my GS. I'm thinking of media blasting them. They're too big to fit in my friend's glass bead blasting cabinet. So, I wonder about using either soda or walnut shells, blast outside and then just hose the mess off the driveway. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
woodpile

Re: Walnut shell or soda blasting a wheel

Post by woodpile »

I've been kicking around the idea of soda blasting the wheels,carbs and other bits on my /5. Harbor Freight sells one for about $100 or you could make your own for a few bucks just to test it out.
http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-t ... a_blaster/
72 R75/5
65 R60/2 VW conversion
DonW

Post by DonW »

Very cool, thanks. I've seen that before, but forgot. I actually have a blasting gun, I think from Harbor Freight. Just a trigger gun, a couple of different diameter nozzles, and a big siphon hose. My prob is too small a compressor.

The other big question for me is- Soda or walnut shells, or ??? You can buy both in bulk at Harbor Freight.

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
She'llbe

Post by She'llbe »

DonW wrote:Hi again,

Working on cleaning up these spare wheels for my GS. I'm thinking of media blasting them. They're too big to fit in my friend's glass bead blasting cabinet. So, I wonder about using either soda or walnut shells, blast outside and then just hose the mess off the driveway. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Don
I've seen the mess that soda blasting makes in the open. Plan on having the whole house block to hose down as well as the neighbors!
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
daz

Post by daz »

DonW, I too would like some input on blasting your wheels with walnut shells OR soda. So she'llbe, any experience with walnut shells? All I know about Nimbin in NSW is what I get from google. So my imagination is running wild with the mess on the whole house block. ;)
1971 R50/5, 1980 R100T,
CRF 300 Rally, CRF 250F,
1947 James ML
esman100

Post by esman100 »

I soda blasted a set of snow flakes for my S bike and thought it worked great. A lot safer than bead blast and it didn't seem to hurt the lawn. Harbor freight sells bulk soda bags for cheap and Napa sells a nifty gun with a pot that looks like a paint gun for around $50US. The gun is more expensive than many, but is great for high pressure blasting with other media.
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

I guess the question is do you want to take the painted finish off the wheel if it has one or just clean the surface a bit without damaging the finish. To remove paint I would recommend the shells, to brighten the metal a bit the soda.

gg
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
montmil

Post by montmil »

I put together the baking soda blaster from Nate's Air Cooled with materials in my shop. Used the mini-blaster to clean up the fork lowers on a recently acquired R65 that needed some serious cosmetic love. Total cash outlay was for three small boxes of baking soda @ fifty-cents/box. Ca-Ching... bargain! :D

Couple items of note:
Baking soda is much milder than the industrial cut of blasting soda. The baking soda shooter will not remove paint but will haze plastic if you really lay into it.

Compressor size and performance, like a few other things in life, does matter. Bigger is gooder. :roll:

Do not know about others, but my mess outside was small and contained to my side yard. Wear a dust mask! Baking soda dissolves in water so cleanup was easy. Don't know about the commercial stuff.
1981 R65
1983 R65
1978 R100S
1995 Triumph Trophy