Handlebar lighting switch

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Duane Ausherman

Re: Handlebar lighting switch

Post by Duane Ausherman »

"There were no complaints about the then-new single disc brake, and certainly no claim that the drum brakes on the /5 bikes had been better than the single disc. The ATE disc brakes, both dual and single-disc, were standard equipment on airheads for 7 model years ('74 through '80)--- nearly twice as long as the cable-operated front drums on the /5s."

The bike reviews of that era were fiction in order to keep/support the advertisers. Those of us working in the industry all knew it and joked about the worthless reviews.

The dual leading edge front brake of the /5 first came about in 1955, maybe 54 on the R25/3. Over the years the friction material was improved, but that system was well lauded by the industry as far superior to the typical Brit single leading edge brake. That brake is almost 20 years old, not the 4 years claimed.

The Japanese bikes came out with dual leading edge brakes too and they stopped better due to superior friction material......... at first. They weren't self adjusting, as one had to adjust the linkage arm to keep them both working equally. Few did it, and very few knew how to adjust them. Often within a year or two they lost stopping power, just due to lack of maintenance.

From the start, the BMW dual leading edge brakes were self adjusting. This allowed them to work for a longer period of time. They too suffered from lack of maintenance. The posts needed to be cleaned and lubricated after a dozen years, or so, depending upon the humidity.

I just wish that BMW had been willing to use softer friction material and sacrifice the service life and get better stopping from their superior system.

Just wanted to keep the facts straight. One is entitled to ones own opinion, but not to the facts.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Duane Ausherman

Every time that I see the subject, "Handlebar lighting switch" I wonder why anyone would want to light the handlebar.
Jean

Post by Jean »

We went from old handlebar switches to brakes really fast...
need some stopping and regrouping here.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Jean wrote:We went from old handlebar switches to brakes really fast...
need some stopping and regrouping here.
The author started the degradation in his OP.
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

In the UK reviews of the drum front brake, there was a suggestion that in damp conditions, first application of the brake on a ride could easily lock it, if you were not careful
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
Duane Ausherman

chasbmw, that is one of the disadvantages of the BMW drum brake. One learns quickly to gently feather the brake the first couple of times right out of the driveway when not needed, just to heat the moisture out of the friction material.

I have also taken a bike, in the morning after a humid night, out on the freeway and up to speed without touching the brake to prevent the grabbyness. Is that a word? Anyway, I was able to use the brake without the usual grab. The wheel just had too much momentum to allow a grab. I was pleased to find that my assumption that is would be OK was correct.
Lifebeat

Post by Lifebeat »

So thanks to you all for your most varied responses and support... After many nights of personal debate, I ended up getting the handlebar MC kit. I want to ride the bike quite a bit next year, and spend minimum time on fiddling on it again after this winter overhaul.

Handle bar "light" switch, as opposed lo lighting the handlebar, I decided to try and live with it a bit and trying to clean the contacts... I'll go from there.

Ciao ciao!
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Lifebeat wrote:So thanks to you all for your most varied responses and support... After many nights of personal debate, I ended up getting the handlebar MC kit. I want to ride the bike quite a bit next year, and spend minimum time on fiddling on it again after this winter overhaul.
So where did you buy your handlbar MC kit Lifebeat, and how much did it cost? I need to order one for my R75/6

Ken

Post by bbelk »

You won't regret the handle bar M/C My 1975 R90/6 has just adequate brakes with it. Still not as good as my 1979 R65 with fix ATE and for sure not as good as Brimbos.

I had very little luck "fixing" handle bar electrics with one failure coming in the middle of a road trip and causing me to fishing the trip with no tail light. New ones are the way to go.

The Norton girls are cool. Some rich guy should try and polish up a full set of those original girls and bikes and redo the adds.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

bbelk wrote: The Norton girls are cool. Some rich guy should try and polish up a full set of those original girls and bikes and redo the adds.
Uh, Brad, I think some of those Norton girls might be older than me. Or at least within about 5 years of my age. Cuz I remember well opening the pages of Cycle World and lusting after each and every one of them.

I too think they ought to re-do the shots, but perhaps with their granddaughters doing the posing this time around.

Thank God it's not cool to show old farts like many of us, skantily clad and draped over old British bikes! Though with a lot of alcohol and a bit of sweet talk I might be convinced to do it!

(Sorry for the mental image, but I'm not entirely responsible for the things that pop into my mind.)

Ken