Low Cost GPS

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
esman100

Low Cost GPS

Post by esman100 »

Hi All, I'm looking for a decent used, weatherproof, basic GPS for hwy and city navigation in the US for the budget minded (poor) airhead rider. I like the looks of the Garmin 2720, but don't know anything about it. If you can offer suggestions on makes and models to look for in the $100ish range used, I would greatly appreciate it...jw
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion
Garnet

Re: Low Cost GPS

Post by Garnet »

My GPS:

Garnet

esman100

Post by esman100 »

Garnet wrote:My GPS:

That's the way I prefer to run too, but when you have to go into a big unfamiliar city on a hot day trying to find a business, with a very short memory, the GPS has it's advantages. I'm old!
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

esman100 wrote: That's the way I prefer to run too, but when you have to go into a big unfamiliar city on a hot day trying to find a business, with a very short memory, the GPS has it's advantages. I'm old!
I understand, I just bought one of these:

but it scares me. :oops:
Garnet

Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Costco has a couple for really good prices.

None of the motorcycle specific models are affordable, but they're weather proof.
MS - out
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I've used a cheap one for unknown city orienteering. The gps stays in the tank bag and the earplug tells me what to do.
Works a treat and stays dry. No need or inclination to look at it either. As long as you realise that following the directions is your choice, not your requirement.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

I ride with a Zumo 550. It failed the low cost test and now its a little dated but it still works on both bikes, my boat, and my car. It talks to my helmet through bluetooth. It won't talk to my cars. Now that there are waterproof cases for the Iphone, I may convert to that only when the Zumo dies. It gives directions through bluetooth to my cars and my helmet as well as playing music and doing the phone thing. I have the Garmin app on it that cost about $50 and has lifetime map updates. The only advantage the Zumo has over it now is the larger screen. I also have marine bluechart maps on my zumo for the boat, and I don't think I can put those on the phone yet, but I have not researched it.

Phones will do everything now and with the new plans, you pretty much get a new one every year, so you get to keep right up with the latest cool stuff and the incremental cost of adding navigation software is minimal.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65