Slooow resurrection of an R69

Single & twin cylinder model BMW Airhead specific discussions
tenni128

Re: Slooow resurrection of an R69

Post by tenni128 »

Still making progress. Two more projects sold = trans, heads and cylinders got rebuilt. Gawd these things are 'spensive. :shock: That's the majority of the hard parts I guess. Wiring harness is in, guessing maybe by spring? Have another kid on the way, due in May. If it's not on the road by then, well...
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

"kid on the way" Look how you have been wasting time, its no wonder that your bike isn't finished yet. :D
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
tenni128

Post by tenni128 »

That can only, in total, account for about 20 minutes. :lol:
The work involved in preparing the house for a new addition is staggering. Fortunately I'm off the hook for baby furniture this time around, but the wife wanted a fold-up bed for the office. By the time I got done "saving money" by making the one she found used work for it's intended space and purpose, I was very close to the cost of a new one. Additionally, my need to be surrounded by interesting but maintenance-intensive vehicles has slowed things down. Plus a buddy just haaaad to have a "chopper", so we've had the garage filled with Harley parts for quite awhile. I need more focus, less work, and more time. I'm sure I'm not the only one...
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Your situation sounds about normal to me. Good luck on the project.

If I can put together my next trip around the USA, I will be glad to stop by and lend a hand for a day or two.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
tenni128

Post by tenni128 »

Well, there's a new fold up bed in the office! Heads are back from Memphis motorworks...one needed considerable work to repair the valve seat, but they're back. Bore tech did the cylinders and did that carbide treatment. So thats the last of the big money. I'll start bolting it all up when I get back home to San Diego tomorrow. I have a self imposed deadline to have it at least running by the end of February.
tenni128

Post by tenni128 »

Lots done today. Heads are on, harness is (mostly) routed, bodywork's back on. Starting to look like a bike again :D
tenni128

It lives!

Post by tenni128 »

Started her up, sans mufflers (didn't show up until yesterday) and did some initial carb tuning. Amazingly it settled into a decent idle almost immediately. I still have to rig the front and rear brakes, track down the signal for the generator light, hook up the speedo light and lots of other little things, but it starts and runs at least. :D :D :DImage
tenni128

Post by tenni128 »

For contrast, a not-too-good before shot:
tenni128

Post by tenni128 »

Some things I realize now, should I ever do this again:
-Buy the stupid hardware kit. I thought it was overpriced, but I don't even want to know how much I've spent at the local Ace hardware in SS fasteners. Not to mention the time and fuel to go down there every time I was just positive it was #12 .125 pitch or something only to find out I was wrong.

-The Clymer manual is very close to useless. If I wasn't already used to years of dealing with poorly written parts breakdowns for military aircraft I'd have gone nuts. I know...I shoulda bought another manual.

-"Lime" is slang for generator on German schematics. Having some background in German, I shouldn't have been surprised but that took a while to figure out.

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that stick out. More to come after the ride report!
Also: Thanks for the help all, and especially Duane for your awesome site. Very useful. Gawd I love the interweb.