LH Mirror Thread Repair

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
gspd

Re: LH Mirror Thread Repair

Post by gspd »

The complexity of the repair depends on the value, condition and intended usage of the bike.
I wouldn't rule out JBWeld, you might be pleasantly surprised, and for less than $10.
If done right it won't show. just put the stem in the exact position needed before it cures.
At worst, it'll keep you going until you get the right taps and dies.
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
Seth

Post by Seth »

As an alternative to a Timesert, I found this. Requires a 9/16-12 tap. Can probably drive it in with a big screw driver.

https://www.zoro.com/e-z-lok-thread-ins ... /G2576463/
hudson

Post by hudson »

Hmmm. I'll have to check out the timesert and the zoro ez lock ( I am assuming because it has a "l" at the end that the zoro it is left threaded). It looks like you drill the hole with the correct size drill bit and then pound/drive in the insert in - no need to actually tap/thread the hole, right? If worse comes to worse, I will fall back on the JBWeld - I do appreciate that input as well. I forgot to take a few pics yesterday. Will try to remember today just so you guys and see what the deal is visually. Thanks!
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

hudson wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:08 am Hmmm. I'll have to check out the timesert and the zoro ez lock ( I am assuming because it has a "l" at the end that the zoro it is left threaded). It looks like you drill the hole with the correct size drill bit and then pound/drive in the insert in - no need to actually tap/thread the hole, right? If worse comes to worse, I will fall back on the JBWeld - I do appreciate that input as well. I forgot to take a few pics yesterday. Will try to remember today just so you guys and see what the deal is visually. Thanks!
Careful... I think the 'l' is for length, there is nothing in the advert to suggest that it's a left handed thread.

Rob
ImageImageImage
hudson

Post by hudson »

Good to know. Appreciate it!
hudson

Post by hudson »

Here are a couple pics...
Attachments
IMG_0048.JPG