New Shoe-

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
lrz

Re: New Shoe-

Post by lrz »

Zombie Master wrote:Spitfires are fine. They are not a high performance tire. So if you like to really burn through the mountains there are better choices. How do you ride?
Hey ZM,

well of late, the rs rarely goes out; that g/s on dirt roads is just too much fun!
W/ that in mind, I realized yesterday that the Avon Roadrider I liked so well gave me only 3K mi of fairly tame riding. Now the rear shocks were sacked so that should figure in, but I'd like to change regardless.

My other thought was Dunlop 404, comparable to the Spitfire. At this juncture, price is a factor.

I really am wondering the benefits, if any, of the so-called vintage treads I mentioned?

The other issue here is, or will be, I'd like to change the tire myself using irons...'nother thread, perhaps.
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

The vintage TT100 Dunlops in Airhead sizes are generally available in GP , or race compound, at a sensible price.

Just put a set on my BSA B44 VS for less than the cost of the last set of Lasertecs on the R75/7.

They work great on the Beesa, and are lasting OK too, so I will try a set ON THE /7 when the Lasertecs wear out, and that looks like it will happen in less than 3000km- WTF?
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

FUTURE wrote:daka daka daka

Even anti-military Chuey got a big old chuckle out of that. Well done, Ross.

Chuey
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

lrz wrote:
Zombie Master wrote:Spitfires are fine. They are not a high performance tire. So if you like to really burn through the mountains there are better choices. How do you ride?
Hey ZM,

well of late, the rs rarely goes out; that g/s on dirt roads is just too much fun!
W/ that in mind, I realized yesterday that the Avon Roadrider I liked so well gave me only 3K mi of fairly tame riding. Now the rear shocks were sacked so that should figure in, but I'd like to change regardless.

My other thought was Dunlop 404, comparable to the Spitfire. At this juncture, price is a factor.

I really am wondering the benefits, if any, of the so-called vintage treads I mentioned?

The other issue here is, or will be, I'd like to change the tire myself using irons...'nother thread, perhaps.
If it is the Dunlop I have on my R90S, they do not last well at all. If that's important to you, you may want to check their reputation. The guy who sold mine to me told me they grip very well and wear out fast. He's a former airhead racer and I'm just a JoeBob. Next time, I'll look for a tire that lasts longer.

Chuey
Ross

Post by Ross »

I replaced my rear Metzeler Marathon 2 days ago. Got a Lasertec to match the front. The Marathon lasted just over 7k kms.
Me wittle bit of the web........http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Ah yes, a familiar view of zer spitfire.
It needs some lead perforation tho'
Lord of the Bings
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

lrz wrote:
Hey ZM,

I think most vintage tires are more for looks than anything else. No doubt they are better than the originals but tire design is improving all the time. I've been hearing good things about the longevity and performance of the Heidenaus. If price is a consideration, I would go for longevity over price for value. I just picked up a Heidenau for my dual sport bike. It was very well priced. I hope it lasts as long as I'm hearing. More than just tread depth, I'm more concerned about how the profile of the tires changes with wear. I've changed out a lot of tires that had lots of tread but didn't feel good anymore. These are all factors in deciding which tire give the best value. Value is money best spent.

I hate changing tires myself. I can do it, but I'm a finger wuss.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I'm waiting to see what the replacement is for the michellin mac50 rear.
I was real pissed to find that the mac50 was discontinued.
SteveD found me the last one in Aus I think.
For me, the mac only lasted about 7 - 8000 k but it held its roundness across the tyre like no other I've tried.

I had a pirelli sport demon prior to my current mac and found it wore poorly with tread on 2/3 of the tyre and none on the other 1/3.

All the rear tyres I've tried have hung on well on the mountain twisties but as ZM says it's about how well they wear without affecting the handling of the bike.
Lord of the Bings
Sunbeem

Post by Sunbeem »

I'm using Heidenau front and rear, and like them very much.
The rear one was impossible to seat on the rim until I'd tightened a cargo strap round the centre of the tread.
If I'd not been using a tube, I don't think I could have done it at home with a foot pump.
As a youngster, I used to like TT100's but their triangular section suited the "throw it around" style of riding, I thought.
If I threw the RS around, she'd prolly reciprocate appropriately.

Sunbeem.
One day more -- one day less.
lrz

Post by lrz »

I went the Mac route once, got maybe 3000mi out of a rear-pretty disappointing experience. As you say, they did maintain their profile though.

I like the look/idea of the TT; my rs came w/ Contis w/ few miles left but I do remember the "iffy" cornering.

I've made no progress as it's been raining & cold here non-stop, which turns out to be perfect dirt road g/s conditions :D .

Don't know anything about Heidenaus-maybe I should...