5 speed ribbed tranny rebuild

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Roy Gavin

Re: 5 speed ribbed tranny rebuild

Post by Roy Gavin »

I should have said that what leads me suspect that the washer 232211231630 might not be the correct thickness if the fact that the first gear has been touching the bearing on the adjacent shaft and has ground out part of the outer race.

But if anyone can suggest something else which could cause that to happen I am open to suggestions!
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

I should have said that what leads me suspect that the washer 232211231630 might not be the correct thickness if the fact that the first gear has been touching the bearing on the adjacent shaft and has ground out part of the outer race.

But if anyone can suggest something else which could cause that to happen I am open to suggestions!
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Airbear wrote:
Hey Jeff, wanna do a 'Bring-a-Box' tech session at mine this weekend? I'm keen to 'go in'.
Gidday Charlie, bit soon for me this weekend......other priorities.
You go on in with out me. Tie some rope around your waist before you go in tho'
Lord of the Bings
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

ME 109 wrote:
Airbear wrote:
Hey Jeff, wanna do a 'Bring-a-Box' tech session at mine this weekend? I'm keen to 'go in'.
Gidday Charlie, bit soon for me this weekend......other priorities.
You go on in with out me. Tie some rope around your waist before you go in tho'
I'll sprinkle some breadcrumbs, too. Can't be too careful in unknown territory with possible lurking monsters.

Had a great confidence-inspiring chat with Ray of Beechworth last night and I'll be collecting tools on Saturday.
It sounds like he has everything we are likely to need.

I know my old 74 box needs an input shaft, so I'm just putting the vibe out into the universe ...
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I'm in the box.

Under the cover of darkness this morning, I rolled over and went back to sleep.
Then, well after the sun was up, I thought about getting up and getting around to Charlies.
After all, I had arranged to meet Charlie at his house @ 9am and pull our trannies apart.
9:45, close enough.

Anyway, I forgot to take the heat gun with me so we were only able to remove the retaining nut and drive flange.

Back at home, I've pulled the cover and found that the bearing on the rear of the input shaft is none too smooth.
No biggie.

I'm up to removing the shift mechanism by removing the two bolts on the front of the tranny.
What I'm finding is that the two bolts are wanting to stay put, ie, as I undo them they are wanting to jack the shift mechanism off instead of the bolts screwing out.

I'm not inclined to continue because I want the bolts to come out without causing damage.
The options as I see at this point are to tap the shift mechanism to 'push' the bolts out as I undo them, or perhaps heat the front of the tranny to help the bolts come out.

Any suggestions on the best way to proceed?

Thanks
Lord of the Bings
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I took my advice and all the bits are on the bench. And, I haven't broken anything yet. :mrgreen:

Tomorrow night tasks will be to clean the tranny housing and put it aside, then closely check the rest of the components for wear or damage.

Hoping for just a bearing change. Fingers crossed.
Lord of the Bings
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Ah, well done Jeff. Fingers crossed here.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Thanks Charlie, the heat gun worked a treat. No need for a flame at all........so far.
Lord of the Bings
Jean

Post by Jean »

When you get to the "replace-the-bearings" part, put the bearing in the freezer for a while AND heat the housing with the heat gun. It'll all go together just SOOOOOO easy.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Jeff, are you planning on modifying the shift mechanism at all? Apparently it can be made to work better, less clunky, if that's a need. After a quick look around I can't find the mod page I've seen before, but did come across info that said the "shift kit" was included from mid 1981 so you should already have that.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.