Wear showing on Nikasil cylinders

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Festus

Re: Wear showing on Nikasil cylinders

Post by Festus »

Hello,
Not burning oil, nothing visible. And I haven't been putting enough miles on it in the last few years to notice any appreciable oil useage. I change it based on time as much as mileage. And I don't know the compression. My fault. Don't tell Duane A. Just bought the other cylinder/piston so I will have a matching side. Concerned and confused about weights and part numbers. I seem to have bitten off more than I can chew so I'm now using a local mechanic. And yes I feel guilty. But I justify it by thinking of all the other work I've done on it and it will be nice to get a professional clean bill of health. Kind of like a reboot. Can you sense the guilt?
Did see on a different sight that the cross hatch pattern on a Nikasil cylinder is normal. I didn't really see it on mine but it is there just not as visible.
Regards.
Festus

Post by Festus »

The story continues. Apparently my '81 R80 is more like a /7. It doesn't have Nikasil cylinders. The microfiche, based on the vin number showed that it does.

The Nikasil ones I purchased looked good but the diameter of the section fitting into the block is slightly larger. Anyone have this experience? I'm looking towards a machine shop to make an adjustment and still use them. Mill them to match the diameter of the non-Nikasil ones that came off the bike. At this point it will be cheaper than boring the olds ones out and getting new pistons/rings.

Regards.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Check over at ADVrider Festus. They're the what fits what lot.

Shit, I just opened the portal.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85
Lord of the Bings