points closing up after 100 miles?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Major Softie

Re: points closing up after 100 miles?

Post by Major Softie »

pmonk wrote:thanks Duane, that is what I finally figured out. And after enlarging the slots I was finally able to get the timing perfect at full advance. It did make a difference in fuel mileage and the old bike runs great at 70-75 mph. I used to go on reserve at 170-180 miles, now going over 200 miles before going on reserve and getting anywhere from 45 to 47 mpg.
That's definitely a sign of a Boxer in a fine state of tune. :)
MS - out
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I am glad that you found it. I was sure that I had this little tidbit on my website, but now I can't find it. If I can't find it, how can you find it? One day I will fix that omission.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
pmonk

I found it

Post by pmonk »

Some owners find that the points plate is rotated to one end of adjustment and still the timing is off a bit. Try setting the point gap a bit smaller or larger to compensate. If you are still within .012" and .020" it will still work perfectly. You may need to remove the points plate and widen the oval holes a bit so that it can rotate more. I have only heard about this recently, so something has changed in the points provided today. Don't obsess over this, just do what it takes to get the timing correct. Make a note in your BMW motorcycle logbook.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/points/index.htm
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

My 0.02 is that if you have to widen the oval slots, you have a problem and it likely a setup issue or you have bad points. The system was designed to work with close to spec parts and there's no reason to modify the base plate.

Kurt in S.A.
Rohls

Post by Rohls »

well, thanks for all the chatter here:)

I threw my Dynatek 3 system on there and seems to be okay...

Silly question maybe: Should I swap the stock spark plug caps for 5000 Ohm caps now that I'm running electronic ignition, or is that for bikes that came stock with elec. ignition....?

Thanks!
1975 R90/6 75K and climbing
1977 R75/7 75K and holding
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

Rohls wrote:well, thanks for all the chatter here:)

I threw my Dynatek 3 system on there and seems to be okay...

Silly question maybe: Should I swap the stock spark plug caps for 5000 Ohm caps now that I'm running electronic ignition, or is that for bikes that came stock with elec. ignition....?

Thanks!
Check the dynatech website to see what they require. Generally it's only the electronic ignitions with a digital processor, that require the resistored plug caps, but double check with the manufacturer.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6