Have you ever seen worse?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
khittner1

Re: Have you ever seen worse?

Post by khittner1 »

Opus451, come in Opus451 . . .

Sit rep, Opus, over . . .

Opus451, sit rep, over . . . . . .

Break----all CL & E-bay watchers in the metro NYC area, go to MOPP (Motorcycle-Oriented Protective Posture) Level 2 . . .
opus451

Post by opus451 »

KH, how can you suggest such a thing!
Nothing a little WD can't handle. Ha!

I thought of that. We live in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, which got its name for having high points, but where there are high points there are low points, right? His house happens to be a mid point where there wasn't flooding. Electrics are operational, engine turns and catches with starter spray. Main trouble right now is gas supply, so going to follow Snowbum's low tech tank service, clean petcocks, rebuild carbs. I am guessing on the road within a week, in time for holiday!

The person I bought it from is a neighbor and potential riding buddy once I get his K75 in order. Said the bike was ridden to his house by previous owner, then ridden by him a short distance before being put under a raggedy tarp and left.

I will believe him, for now. Gotta have a lil faith in the world.

And that cable theory is a new one for me, Ken, and it was maybe an ounce or less so that would make sense. No froth, translucent, but fluid was Atf red. Does hypoid come in red?
Eric "Opus" Carlsen
A Brooklyn native
1976 R60/6
opus451

Post by opus451 »

Got into the carbs with qtips, PB, a bitty flathead, jet pokers, thought I would soak the bowls in vinegar, pour over a kale salad, pop a beer.

Will update!
Eric "Opus" Carlsen
A Brooklyn native
1976 R60/6
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Speaking of vinegar, filling the gas tank with white vinegar will clean it up pretty well.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

jagarra wrote:Speaking of vinegar, filling the gas tank with white vinegar will clean it up pretty well.
Doesn't vinegar dissolve the red oe tank lining?
Lord of the Bings
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

opus451 wrote:KH, how can you suggest such a thing!

The person I bought it from is a neighbor and potential riding buddy once I get his K75 in order. Said the bike was ridden to his house by previous owner, then ridden by him a short distance before being put under a raggedy tarp and left.

I will believe him, for now. Gotta have a lil faith in the world.
I think I prefer the flood theory. Otherwise, your carb pics will probably start showing up in the "ethanol-is-the-font-of-all-evil" conspiracy theorists' hall-o'-shame.

I haven't seen red hypoid myself---even "Redline" synthetic 75W-90 is reported to be yellow.

I hope you get it resuscitated by the 4th.
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Those carbs would be good candidates for soda or CO2 blasting, at least for the exposed bits.

The guy I bought my R65 from also had a K75. Later on he wanted to sell that, but I'd had enough of buying BMW parts so I'm settling for one.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
melville

Post by melville »

ME 109 wrote:
jagarra wrote:Speaking of vinegar, filling the gas tank with white vinegar will clean it up pretty well.
Doesn't vinegar dissolve the red oe tank lining?
Yes! Yes it will. Be ready to reline the tank if you use vinegar.

Here's what I found in a Yamaha that sat for a yearish, ethanol in the gas:

I cleaned those carbs in a (thrift store) crock pot filled with automotive antifreeze. They came out looking like this when reassembled:

Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

When I bought the bike that would become my Cafe' Racer, there was a milkshake looking goo in the transmission. I drained it and three of my other bikes. New oil into the other ones. Each batch of change oil from the other bikes run through the water logged transmission for just a few rides and then, finally new oil for that one.

Who knows? That bike doesn't have tons of miles on it since then but the transmission does seem to work very well, if not super quietly. But then, that could be because of the brace from the frame to the top two engine to trans bolts...which transmits noise, I'm sure.

Chuey
pkboxer

Redline?

Post by pkboxer »

even "Redline" synthetic 75W-90 is reported to be yellow.
I used Redline and it looks like a strawberry milk shake. :o
'74 - R90/6