Battery for R75/5

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
barryh

Re: Battery for R75/5

Post by barryh »

One problem with Gel and AGM batteries is the bikes charging system wasn't designed for them and the AGM in particular needs a significantly higher charging voltage than a standard wet cell. The best thing you can do is get an adjustable voltage regulator and set it at the voltage the battery manufacturer recommends. Don't listen to generic advice about what voltage to charge a GEL battery at for example. Just trust the battery manufacturer. Once the correct charging voltage is used both GEL and AGM batteries are very superior compared to a wet cell in that they have a vastly lower self discharge rate which will help if the bike is infrequently used or used for short journeys.
barry
Cheshire
England
slyngej

Post by slyngej »

Would it be a good idea to replade the diode board and regulator with a newer rectifier regulator circuit?
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

I find Motobatt better than anything else I have used. Use them for my SWB R75/5 as well as my difficult to crank Ducatis. They hold their charge for months.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Foxy wrote:I find Motobatt better than anything else I have used. Use them for my SWB R75/5 as well as my difficult to crank Ducatis. They hold their charge for months.
Didn't Motobatt win somebody's big comparison test?
MS - out
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

slyngej wrote:Would it be a good idea to replade the diode board and regulator with a newer rectifier regulator circuit?
I wouldn't spend the money, and it is a significant amount of money. The diode board and most airhead voltage regulators are solid state. So they don't wear out on a chronological basis. And they don't degrade significantly with normal use. Heat is the greatest enemy. Corroded connections can also be a factor

Now having said that I keep a known good diode board, regulator, alternator rotor and alternator brushes in stock because I know that sooner or later I'm going to need them.

Ken

Post by ME 109 »

Major Softie wrote:
Foxy wrote:I find Motobatt better than anything else I have used. Use them for my SWB R75/5 as well as my difficult to crank Ducatis. They hold their charge for months.
Didn't Motobatt win somebody's big comparison test?
I've had a motobatt for about five years, and couldn't kill it when I left heated grips on for two weeks before noticing.
Cranks well in low temps.

The only trouble is, they're YELLOW
Lord of the Bings
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

The Motobatt's trademarked yellow case might be OK on a green or curry toaster tank. But I'm probably too fussy---I peel the red-orange-pink sticker off the front of my Westco AGMs before installing them.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Contact paper.
MS - out
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Major Softie wrote:Contact paper.
Good idea Major. I was lazy and painted mine matt black
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

ME 109 wrote:
Major Softie wrote:Contact paper.
Good idea Major. I was lazy and painted mine matt black
I thought contact paper was the lazy solution. ;)
MS - out