Rear main seal question

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
neverquit

Re: Rear main seal question

Post by neverquit »

Bfr: I also have to replace that rear seal so I am reading about your progress with great interest. I hadn't planned on any clutch work since mine only has 28,000 miles but maybe I am being optimistic. How many miles are on your bike? How many hours do you have in this repair so far and how long do you think it will take to finish it? Good luck.
Bfr

Post by Bfr »

Neverquit

Job is all done I just need to remember to bring home some gear box oil from work so I can change it.
The bike has somewhere around 120 - 130 thousand k's on it so a new clutch disc was nothing really. The hardest part of the job would have had to have been disconnecting and removing the swing arm assy I undid the 4 bolts on the back of the gearbox that hold the drive shaft I'm unsure if this was the best way to do it as during reconnection I did manage to drop one of them down the drive shaft housing so had to remove the swing arm to get it out.

Overall it's easy as job to do that requires very little in the way of tools, I did use a plate drilled to suit the flywheel bolts to "press" the seal in other than that I eye balled the clutch plate and got it first time and locked the flywheel with a screwdriver and the blind bolt on the lower left hand side of the gear box I had to use a short length of cut down Allen key and a 6 mm ring spanner as I just couldn't get my good Allen keys into it and didn't want to grind one down.

I spent a lot of time cleaning crud off casings e.c.t whilst it was all apart but I recon between 4 and 6 Hours for a first timer to do the job would be reasonable, now that I've had the thing to pieces and back together I think I could possibly do the job in 2 hours if I needed to.
neverquit

Post by neverquit »

Bfr, thanks for all the great information, it will be a help. The job doesn't sound nearly as bad as some make it out to be and that is a relief.