ATGATT

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

Re: ATGATT

Post by Zombie Master »

Sibbo wrote:Any comments on the First Gear mesh jacket ? Is it a good company or crap ?
I've owned some First Gear stuff. It has been very good.

As was mentioned before, overheating is also very dangerous. I have armored full mesh gear. In my locale, I might use it for a week of the entire year.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Ross

Post by Ross »

This ATGATT pisses me off. Has done for many many years. What has happened to doing what you like? Last year there was discussion within local gruberment here in, NSW downunder, to legislate that riders must all wear ATGATT. Thankfully this has been knocked on the head for the time being.

In the UK many years ago the gruberment wanted to make all motorcycles and their riders be covered in fluro. For their safety.

What has happened to the individual wanting to look after his own wellbeing? Our freedoms are slowly but surely being eroded away. The more that get on the ATGATT bandwagon the more the gruberment will want to make this law.
Me wittle bit of the web........http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
Ross

Post by Ross »

Chuey wrote:
Yeah, but Future doesn't crash.

Chuey
Does he wear a cape and tights, too?[/quote]

Not on the first date...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Chuey wrote:
Yeah, but Future doesn't crash.

Chuey
If only this were but true. I had an accident last year. My fault. i hey a car. I was wearing my open face helmet. Still have my ugly mutt in one bit. I was wearing mesh jacket and leather vest over that and jeans. Standard riding attire for me when i go away further than the shops. This was the first crash in over 20 years.

So that makes 5 crashes in over 30 years of riding. First 2 where within my first 2 years on riding. I suffer to this day from one of the injuries in the first accident. I have almost no feeling in my left knee. And a huge scar to show for it.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Zombie Master wrote:Well.... do you?
ATGMoTT.

All the gear, most of the time.

Minimum: FFH (flip BMW s5), jacket with armour, decent gloves, bike boots, jeans.

Out of town I always add pants with armour, but in town I wear jeans.

I do subscribe to Ross's theory sort of...it's up to us to avoid the problems, not relying on others to do it right. Unfortunately nature doesn't work that way 100% of the time.

Last year y'all may remember me hitting something in a tunnel, in peak hour, with rupture of the front tyre and lucky not to have hit the deck. Any road you choose may provide a problem to respond to. The possibilities are endless, the responses maybe less so.

In my job, I've seen jaws ground down to bone, knees and elbows shattered, long bones compounded, full rash to the back, brain leaking thru #'s....for me the cause doesn't matter, it's what's possible. It's all risk management in the end. How you choose to do that, is an individual thing.

To think we're in control, all the time is where the decision is often wrong.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Zombie Master wrote:
Sibbo wrote:Any comments on the First Gear mesh jacket ? Is it a good company or crap ?
I've owned some First Gear stuff. It has been very good.

As was mentioned before, overheating is also very dangerous. I have armored full mesh gear. In my locale, I might use it for a week of the entire year.
Thanks ZM ,here I probably need a mesh jacket 25 weeks of the year . :roll:

It's hot mate !
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

FUTURE wrote:This ATGATT pisses me off. Has done for many many years. What has happened to doing what you like? Last year there was discussion within local gruberment here in, NSW downunder, to legislate that riders must all wear ATGATT. Thankfully this has been knocked on the head for the time being.

In the UK many years ago the gruberment wanted to make all motorcycles and their riders be covered in fluro. For their safety.

What has happened to the individual wanting to look after his own wellbeing? Our freedoms are slowly but surely being eroded away. The more that get on the ATGATT bandwagon the more the gruberment will want to make this law.
It's all about the cost of care once the damage is done. If the rider could guarantee the total cost of management post accident, I doubt the government would care.
They don't care if you need halo traction for 12 weeks, they don't care that you need multiple skin grafts, they don't care that you never work again.
They do care that they have to pay for it all, and they do care that they may pay disability pensions and carer's pensions for the poor sod that gets lumbered with the responsibility. Therein lies the helmet argument. More death, less cost over time. More presentations with serious injury, with shorter stay and low cost funerals.
The government would probably be happy with that, but then they would be seen as putting money before the individual. They can't do that can they?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
dougie

Post by dougie »

Sibbo wrote:I'm with you on that one. I remember visiting a mate in hospital years ago ,his jaw was interesting , all wired together with little tubes sticking out here and there .
I junked my open face and bought a full face .
Haven't seen that, but I can imagine it. I saw a full face helmet after the rider went down face first on pavement. His face would not have survived it.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

Sibbo wrote: Thanks ZM ,here I probably need a mesh jacket 25 weeks of the year . :roll:

It's hot mate !
I don't know about the shipping to OZ, but I've found this product to be handy with a mesh jacket in hot, humid Oklahoma:

http://coloradocoolwear.com/CoolVests.htm
Gryphon

Resistance is futile; if less than 1 ohm.
moonbeamerll

Post by moonbeamerll »

Is FUTURE the reincarnation of the once infamous Funholiday?