The time has come....

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
The Bigfella

Re: The time has come....

Post by The Bigfella »

Btw Charlie... what do you mean 17' tall. My Hmong mate here is only 6' tall... so I'm no more than 8', I think....

Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Another poor blighter for the pot, eh?

Good to see some progress already, Ian. With a project like this one it is nice to keep in mind that there are a finite number of parts that will eventually fall into place. It may be a very large number but it is finite. I have always found that comforting.

A lot of blokes like the Mikunis as a replacement for the Dellortos. I haven't absorbed much info about them apart from that, because I love me old Bings. I know there are threads in the old Phorum (see the Archives board). A search might turn up some interesting info re cost comparison and advantages.

Instruments - I gather that the glass is not available separately. There are alternative electronic instruments that interest me. I wouldn't mind getting a /5 headlight bucket and possibly drop one of these into it -

http://s3performance.com.au/acewell-285 ... -p-60.html

There's a bloke down near Dandenong with a good supply of used parts, all neatly stored and at good prices -
Ross Gregory 0421 057 488. Well worth a visit with a shopping list and some folding paper money. I'd be happy to put you up on the way through if you are driving.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
The Bigfella

Post by The Bigfella »

Thanks for that offer Charlie. I'm planning a trip to Tassie towards the end of the year - we've got a track day or two planned with the M5's and 540LE's.... so I think a visit to Ross is definitely on the cards. btw... you are welcome to come on the Tassie tour if you want... there's always a seat or two available.

Cheers
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

The Bigfella wrote:Thanks for that offer Charlie. I'm planning a trip to Tassie towards the end of the year - we've got a track day or two planned with the M5's and 540LE's.... so I think a visit to Ross is definitely on the cards. btw... you are welcome to come on the Tassie tour if you want... there's always a seat or two available.

Cheers
Me? Get in a car with you at the wheel? Not bloody likely mate. (grin)
Charlie

George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

I think I see a BMWbattery box in the picture with the shovelhead stuff!
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
The Bigfella

Post by The Bigfella »

Yep - I picked up the battery box some years back... just never got around to getting the carbies.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Airbear wrote:Another poor blighter for the pot, eh?

Good to see some progress already, Ian. With a project like this one it is nice to keep in mind that there are a finite number of parts that will eventually fall into place. It may be a very large number but it is finite. I have always found that comforting.

A lot of blokes like the Mikunis as a replacement for the Dellortos. I haven't absorbed much info about them apart from that, because I love me old Bings. I know there are threads in the old Phorum (see the Archives board). A search might turn up some interesting info re cost comparison and advantages.

Instruments - I gather that the glass is not available separately. There are alternative electronic instruments that interest me. I wouldn't mind getting a /5 headlight bucket and possibly drop one of these into it -

http://s3performance.com.au/acewell-285 ... -p-60.html

There's a bloke down near Dandenong with a good supply of used parts, all neatly stored and at good prices -
Ross Gregory 0421 057 488. Well worth a visit with a shopping list and some folding paper money. I'd be happy to put you up on the way through if you are driving.
Very nice Charlie but for we cheeep buggers a cycle speedo does the same for about $30 Oz versus US $249 with the exception ofthe fuel guage .Pretty though . :mrgreen:
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

G'day Peter. Yep, those itty bitty speedos seem to work very well, too.

Brun has been leading me in a merry dance these last few days. The sweet old thing is not content for me to just win her the precious fluids and the occasional part but insists that I must understand every aspect of her character and fondle every single part.

All going well, Hans and I will be heading out of Melburg to the high country tomorrow. I'll try to post when possible during the voyage, prolly down in the Oz Boxerworks rally thread.

Biggie, I suspect this thread will go for some time and considerable length as your bike comes together. I think you know why I think this.

Here are the Boxerworks Rules, such as they are. Put together by the Major in response to a noob who complained about the unusual nature of this forum (or phorum, as it was at the time). Cheers.

Boxerworks forum rules.

There are only a few rules on this board. If I miss any, I'm sure someone else will fill in the missing points.

1. If you misspell or typo something, It is quite likely that it will be pointed out and made fun of. If the error itself makes a joke (like my favorite: the man who had a problem in his carburetor bowels), then there is zero chance that it will go by without comment. If you are one of the people who participates in poking fun at such errors, you will be especially voraciously attacked if you make an error yourself. If you are defensive and/or easily insulted by having your typing critiqued, your visits here could be painful.

2. You get to start a string. You get to post anything you want in regards to another string. You do NOT get to decide what other people get to post in regards to your string, or any other. There is only one absolute exception to this rule: the damn spam that caused the change to a registration system. The other softer exception is that we prefer that completely off topic strings started for the express purpose of political/religious/whacko topics be kept on the "Motorcycling" board, as it has "General Rants" listed as one of the things that belong there.

3. There are boards that operate the way you seem to prefer. This is the worst place in the world to ask where they are. We are here because we don't want to be wherever they are.

4. Thread Degradation is a sin on some of those other boards. Here it is regarded as an art form. While we have great respect and love for those who can do it at the highest levels, we completely accept even the weakest examples. Frequently, we try not to degrade until after the question has been answered. We do not hold ourselves too tightly to this intention. Your post, on the other hand, asked no question at all. It was simply a statement of opinion. Thus, it was open for any comment whatsoever without the originator even having the claim that his question had not been addressed.

5. The "moderator" of this board is the community itself. We decide what the rules are, who is following them, and who is not. I say "we" because, although I am currently listing rules, I didn't make any of these rules. I am simply explaining them as best I have come to understand them in the years that I have been here. Some have been determined by long discussions of opinion on strings 50 to over 100 posts long. Others just seem to be magically agreed on without discussion, or absorbed through osmosis. If I miss any, others will fill them in. If I have stated anything that we don't all agree on, someone will be all over me about it.

6. Except for our love of BMW's, and an almost nauseating fascination with wandering off onto tangents that have nothing to do with the original post, this is an extraordinarily diverse group. We have little else in common, but have become a community so fond of one another that we are willing to ride thousands of miles, sometimes across international borders, in order to get together once or twice a year (some may think it's just for the beer, but the first rally was BYO. We accept anyone - as long as they don't think they get to tell everyone else what they get to talk about.

7. The mere mention of Silicone will get you ribbed without you having the slightest idea what is going on unless you do some research with the site's "Search" feature.

8. Certain topics will immediately be labeled as dangerous / horrifying / unsolvable / to-be-avoided-at-all-costs. These include Oil, Tires, Synthetic Lubricants, Carb Synchronizers, and fights between Lonnie and myself. This doesn't mean that they are not allowed to go on, merely that they are subject to ridicule, being ignored by much of the community, and generally regarded as a waste of time. This list is neither complete, nor immune from being amended at any time.

9. While the judgement was not absolutely 100%, there is general agreement that there is nothing wrong with boobs.

10. Never judge a Guru by his dress.

I hope you can find this environment one that you can actually enjoy. Others have arrived here and adjusted to our banter, even after finding it a bit too much at first. Admittedly, I don't remember any of the one's who HAVE adjusted beginning by making quite as noxious an attack at the very nature of this board. If you find our style too loose for you, there are other boards out there that you will probably find more to your tastes. Many of them are filled with very well informed BMW aficionados. Regardless, there is certainly no chance of the community bending itself to your preferences, at least not in the foreseeable future.
Charlie

Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Now that we have real live moderators on this board, I don't think more than 98% of that applies anymore.
MS - out
The Bigfella

Post by The Bigfella »

Rules?

They are like speed limits, aren't they? I managed to set a new speed limit record during my recent Vietnam trip... I managed to exceed the limit by 18 times the posted limit. Now, what was it about rules you wanted to discuss?

btw, I sent off an email to a mate with an F650 that he wants to get rid of last night. If the right answer comes back... who knows? I might have to hide it out at my storage shed for a while though. I went out with one of my sons to pick up the gokarts yesterday and was surprised at how much empty space there was... and if I get rid of that pair of old Mercedes SEC coupes out there..... shhh... don't mention a word to the missus.

btw... I found the brake master cylinder today. I was a bit worried that I couldn't find it.. but there it was, attached to the forks. I might just have to go see if it works.... (I'm in the middle of major brake reconditioning blues with my old Jensen Interceptor... which is also leaving the fold as soon as I can get the damn brakes and a few other things sorted)