Heated grips.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Garnet

Re: Heated grips.

Post by Garnet »

I use these on my summer bike: http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3&ac ... 37&pid=174 four heat settings and not too expensive.

I run these on my winter bike: http://www.hippohands.com/bmw1.htm nice dry hands, out of the wind. I wear my summer gloves most of the winter.
Garnet

ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Thanks Garnet, I did come across those grips in my searches, they appear top quality.
Wow! sleeping bags on handlebars. :mrgreen:
Lord of the Bings
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I strongly suggest first trying something like Hippo Hands. Heated grips only heat up the inside of your hand and the cold is on the outside. Best to keep the chill factor off the hands and maybe you won't need electric heat.

Besides, accessory wiring is so often done poorly that reliability is compromised.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Duane Ausherman wrote:I strongly suggest first trying something like Hippo Hands. Heated grips only heat up the inside of your hand and the cold is on the outside. Best to keep the chill factor off the hands and maybe you won't need electric heat.

Besides, accessory wiring is so often done poorly that reliability is compromised.
Duane, your theory stacks up although Hippo Hands are going to be a squeeze on an RS.
The RS fairing does limit windchill sufficiently most of the time. There are however those times when I think heated grips would be just spiffy!

At this stage, I most like the grips Motobins have on offer. Grips with integrated heat coil and they look the same as OE.
They won't happen in time for the rally tho..........not with all else that needs to happen.
Lord of the Bings
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

The low price Oxford grips work OK, if you like heated grips.

I have had two bikes with heated grips - the F650 GS hadtheOEM items , but the engine wouldn't run when they were on so this restricted their use somewhat.

The PO fitted Oxford grips to my G/S, along with large Maier hand guards.

The guards work pretty well, and with the right gloves they are all I need, and I have disconnected the grips.

My take is that with good guards and the right gloves you dont need heated grips.
And if you have the wrong gloves heated grips wont make them into the right ones.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Roy Gavin wrote: My take is that with good guards and the right gloves you dont need heated grips.
And if you have the wrong gloves heated grips wont make them into the right ones.
But Roy, you're in South Oz, where the snow melts at 20,000ft before it refreezes at 2000ft, 1000ks to the east...just near Jeffs place! :D
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

SteveD wrote:
Roy Gavin wrote: My take is that with good guards and the right gloves you dont need heated grips.
But Roy, you're in South Oz, where the snow melts at 20,000ft before it refreezes at 2000ft, 1000ks to the east...just near Jeffs place! :D
Exactly. here where the snow flies 5 - 7 months of the year, it takes a bit more.
MS - out
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

You are right as usual, Major, it is too easy for me to forget that some guys have a bit more to cope with than the relatively mild Mediterranean type climate we have here.

But I live around the 2000 ft mark, just down from the summit of Mount Lofty, and wheel the bike out 3/4 times every week of the year, so I do see a bit of the weather.

I started road riding on a sprung hub Triumph Tiger 100 over fifty years ago in Scotland, so I know the pleasure of riding on snow , slush, refrozen snow and black ice - we had about six weeks frost free where I lived.

And I remember the agony as the frozen tips of your fingers thaw out.
And the same when your head does the same.

We are taking a bit of a pasting here, right now, the season has broken with a vengeance, 90 km winds, 110 mm(4 1/2") of rain in 30 hours, and temp 4/5 C when I tried to sneak out between the rain fronts this morning.

But it will have softened the ground up a bit. I just had to put my best mate, Jack the Jack Russell to sleep today, his liver just packed up. So at least the digging will be a bit easier tomorrow morning.

Now, I just gonna kill a bottle of Scotch.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Roy Gavin wrote:You are right as usual, Major
Careful now Roy, it's riding season in Lake Taho now.......
The Major's helmet might get a tight fit.

And a toast to yer wee mate, Jack.
Lord of the Bings
dougie

Post by dougie »

Hi Roy.
Sad you lost your buddy Jack.
My late Bordie Collie was good friends with a J.R. down the road. Only dog that could keep up with her.
Their short life span is the reason the gods gave us Scotch. This evening I will toast you and your lost friend.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.