Lifter and rocker wear

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
robert

Re: Lifter and rocker wear

Post by robert »

"Being a cheap bastard AND paranoid can be tricky sometimes."

Charlie,
That was absolutely beautiful.
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

I wish I could help you out, but R65 followers seem to be unique to the 248 series.

I KNOW my local breaker could come up with a set.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Thanks Robert. Perhaps I'll have that put onto my tombstone. My son has suggested that my tombstone should read, "Here lies an atheist - all dressed up and nowhere to go"

And thanks to Rob too, for the thought. I'm ordering some good rockers through German eBay. As it happens, I did miss out on what seemed a really good set, including later, lighter pushrods, from US ebay while I was trying to find a US resident to forward them to me. The seller refused to ship outside the US. I've now found a set of lifters/followers through US ebay and the seller will ship to me. So all is well.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Oh Charlie, you have a bunch of friends here that would be happy to be a middleman!
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

Well, thanks to Rob I now have a US middledude for any tricky future US eBay purchases.

And winging their way to me are two fine looking pairs of Kipphebels (rockers) from das Vaterland, and a set of followers/lifters in good condition from the US. Also coming from the US is a new front brake - a Magura 13mm, for somewhat cheaper than the kit to refurbish the terrible under-tank thingie. One of these -

... as seen on ADV - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742109
Thanks to Hans of Melbourne (Ontic) for the heads up.

So, while I'm waiting there are the carbs to refurb, steering head bearings to examine (getting notchy again), some wiring to tidy up, bits to paint, and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, etc.

I sense your envy.
Charlie

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Airbear wrote:I sense your envy.
How'd he do that? :shock: Can I have a part number and source for that handlebar MC?
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Tim, there's a sauce mentioned at the start of this thread. As for part numbers, I doubt it. Charlie smokes the whole thing.

Good stuff Charlie. It's like Christmas getting bike parts in the mail. :P
Lord of the Bings
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

Tim Shepherd wrote:
Airbear wrote:I sense your envy.
How'd he do that? :shock: Can I have a part number and source for that handlebar MC?
Tim, I knew that you would be particularly envious. Living in the tropics means you have no proper winter in which to hide away and get truly intimate with the machinery for weeks at a time. And our far northern cousins will just have to be patient and get through the riding season first before freezing their tits off in the shed.

The Magura is a Series 225. It comes in 13mm or 16mm, with polished alloy or black lever. The one I ordered cost $85 through Amazon, but there may be less expensive sources out there. Here's one mob quoting $70, but no on-line ordering -
http://www.pmfronline.com/front_brake_components.php

O, and if you want to be really fancy (and legal), there is a brake switch for about $13. Our Oz mail order parts mob now wants $190 for the overhaul kit for the under-tank ATE, so the Magura is looking like a pretty good alternative. It may actually stop the bike when the lever is squeezed without a formal written request 3 weeks in advance.

ps: Yes indeed Jeff. I'm sure looking forward to these little presents from abroad, but my credit card isn't speaking to me.
Charlie

mattcfish

Post by mattcfish »

Bellingham, WA USA
1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW 2002
1971 VW Westfalia
1985 VW Vanagon
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... s.1074183/
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

mattcfish wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Magura-Hydraulic- ... B001J8MSDE

Free shipping too!
Very tempting.
Yes, free shipping to mainland USA. I paid $35 to get one posted to Oz. Another mob quoted US$97.20 to ship the MC and switch to me by express mail - no alternative offered. Bastards.
The ADV reviews are very positive - I'll report on what I find. The nice thing is that it looks like it belongs, judging by the pics on ADV. Be tempted, Matt.
Charlie