Ebay

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
ME 109

Re: Ebay

Post by ME 109 »

JACK ETHRIDGE wrote: I WILL NOT DEAL WITH EBASY. Nuff said.
It's ok guys, we can go back to code green. It isn't about ebay!

IT'S ABOUT EBASY! I wouldn't deal with them either. I mean, look at all the trouble Julian Assange is having with the Ecuador Ebasy.
Lord of the Bings
driggs

Post by driggs »

Major Softie wrote:AREN'T ANY OF YOU LISTENING TO WHAT JACK SAID?????

"HE WILL NOT BUY OR SELL ON EBAY. HE WILL NOT DEAL WITH EBASY."

NUFF SAID.
NO MORE TO BE SAID.
SOMEONE CLOSE THIS THREAD.
But wait! What if the seller offers a return policy?? Just pay for shipping back to the seller and get a full credit if you don't like the item! It's a win for everyone.

Just sayin'.
dwire

Post by dwire »

I don't "get it" either with US eBay - and now, we have people parting out parts. Likely 95% of what I saw today one can buy brand new from a BMW dealer for LESS with no BS. Who is buying this stuff anyhow? A 40+ year old rusted out Bosch Coil singular mind you for $50 some dollars and shipping? These people must all be high on something. The descriptions are great too. "Wheel in excellent condition... Bearing is spun and missing but can be repaired..."

People can't possible be buying this stuff. If they are, I could have a gigantic fortune to pay for a professional entire restore by someone else! Someone's suggestion of looking at other countries has to be all that's left for you'd have to be a numb-skull to pay $35.00 for a used (since) 1971 clutch cable that is wrapped up in a coil! And the walnut, soda and crush coal blasters are parting anything aluminum on the bikes down to the smallest parts and cashing in on their 2 minutes of labor and next to no overhead...

OK, rant mode off, but it is obvious the marketplace for early BMW parts in used or any other condition is no longer eBay - that is if it ever was.
1971 R75/5 (SWB)
If you're going to hire MACHETE to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!
Dan in IL

Post by Dan in IL »

The thing that gripes me is there are people running around buying up perfectly good bikes just to part them out on Ebay. Everytime a good deal comes up on a old Airhead in my area, a guy in Paducah KY beats me to it then sells the pieces on there!!
dwire

Post by dwire »

Dan in IL wrote:The thing that gripes me is there are people running around buying up perfectly good bikes just to part them out on Ebay. Everytime a good deal comes up on a old Airhead in my area, a guy in Paducah KY beats me to it then sells the pieces on there!!
Yes, I have been seeing and/or suspecting this has been going on for a few years now. Lately on US eBay, it seems to have hit critical mass... It is pretty sick when the most affordable "deal" on the US eBay website appeared to be an entire frame the other day. I am still blown away with the drop in volume of listings, how many of these same people write descriptions like I noted above. 750cc BMW engine in great condition, will need new top and bottom end, and left piston hanging out of head... What the Heck? lol

Certainly there is a time to part this or that out; especially when it is something that you've already replaced with an alternate part, new or used and the item removed might still be serviceable to someone (AT REASONABLE COSTS - SOMETHING I AM NOT SEEING) but, to just pull a bike out of an old man's shop, pull the sheet off of a nice bike that just needs servicing, washed and a light carnuba wax and passed on to an eager new owner - to instead part it out down to the screws - is aggravating and non-intuitive for everyone. Maybe if they are organ donors, the medical community will take the same sort of care and attention to parting out their organs and such on the black market.

All I can do is not support these types.
1971 R75/5 (SWB)
If you're going to hire MACHETE to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!