82 5 Speed Trans post Mortem

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Jean

Re: 82 5 Speed Trans post Mortem

Post by Jean »

One thing's for sure, when you ask for HELP here, you get it from all 'round the world!!
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Ray from Indiana

Post by Ray from Indiana »

The trans is completed and re-nstalled in the bike.

As DonW said, this WAS a tedious job.

Question: Are there any specific "break-in" procedures you guys recommend after a rebuild?

Other notes:
1. I was able to get the layshaft helical gear off the shaft with heat and my 12T press. Off with a bang I mean. Once past the initial set, if pressed off ok. Pressing the new gear on was not as difficulat as getting the press the break the initial grip the gear had on the shaft

2. A little tricky getting the spring clip back on the input shaft, the one that stops the big spring and collar.

3. Got the little clutch pushrod seal ( you know, that $20, seal approx 3/8" OD ) in suarly by starting the seal set-up with 1/4" all-thread rod and washers, finished by using the press.

4. Shimming calcs: Took measurements using my Starrett 797 digital caliper ( .0001 resolution ) and my Starrett 449 depth mike. Wanted to make sure two instruments agreed. I got the shimming to land in the 0.002" to .004" range, triple checked all estimates of end float.

5. After putting the cover back on I noticed no tightness and shifting was fine ( thanks ME109 for the tip )

6. The seal for the output flange gave me a little trouble. Input, no trouble at all.

After doing the job I realized I wouldn't be that quick to jump on buying a used trans based on bench tests. Mine would have passed all the tests about shifting noises, etc. But the buyer would have been surprised by the gears and sloppy bearings if they opened it up.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Sounds good Ray, well done!
Ride it normally.
Change the oil at maybe 500 miles and your done. (till the next oil change)

You may still find little bits on the magnetic plug at the first oil change. It takes quite a bit of washing and rinsing to remove all of that stuff prior to rebuilding.
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Ray from Indiana wrote:
Question: Are there any specific "break-in" procedures you guys recommend after a rebuild?
I believe Rob has one specific recommendation about that procedure.....
MS - out
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Ray from Indiana wrote:
Are there any specific "break-in" procedures you guys recommend after a rebuild?
Go easy on it for the first 75,000 miles and then replace it.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65