ATGATT

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

Re: ATGATT

Post by Zombie Master »

moonbeamerll wrote:Is FUTURE the reincarnation of the once infamous Funholiday?
No way. But it is good to see some attitude IMNSHO! :)
Any and all disclaimers may apply
She'llbe

Post by She'llbe »

FH was only once infamous? I agree with Future, the government in Oz tries to be into everyones business. Thank goodness the country is so big and the population so small. I've had my share of 2 wheel misfortune and choose to wear what I think is appropriate riding gear. On the other hand I tend to go beyond the speed limit when on 2 wheels and this might negate the safe clothing that I wear. Everyone that has responded to this thread has his/her own stories to tell about safety, but we must admit that we participate in risk taking behavior. As far as insurance premiums go, I've never seen them go down, only up. Is that because we are more unsafe now than we were in the past? On the whole, I don't think so.
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Gryphon wrote:
Sibbo wrote: Thanks ZM ,here I probably need a mesh jacket 25 weeks of the year . :roll:

It's hot mate !
I don't know about the shipping to OZ, but I've found this product to be handy with a mesh jacket in hot, humid Oklahoma:

http://coloradocoolwear.com/CoolVests.htm
Thanks Gryphon ,but no thanks .I like sleeves , that vest leaves me way too exposed .
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Sibbo wrote:Thanks Gryphon ,but no thanks .I like sleeves , that vest leaves me way too exposed .
You are joking, right, Sibbo?
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Nup ,I like black top under my wheels , not against my skin .That thing leaves my arms exposed .I like my arms .
The Grateful Dead
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

She'llbe wrote:
FH was only once infamous? I agree with Future, the government in Oz tries to be into everyones business. Thank goodness the country is so big and the population so small. I've had my share of 2 wheel misfortune and choose to wear what I think is appropriate riding gear. On the other hand I tend to go beyond the speed limit when on 2 wheels and this might negate the safe clothing that I wear. Everyone that has responded to this thread has his/her own stories to tell about safety, but we must admit that we participate in risk taking behavior. As far as insurance premiums go, I've never seen them go down, only up. Is that because we are more unsafe now than we were in the past? On the whole, I don't think so.
She'llbe , the difference is Medicare and free hospitals .The taxes of the whole community pay for those so they have the right to set standards that mean less hospital time , less disability pensions , less carers pensions .

In the US apparently the state doesn't offer so much assistance so reasonably they pass less controlling laws . Swings and roundabouts .

Personally , I don't care what the laws say ,I choose to protect my flesh from tar .I've done the other thing and it hurts .
The Grateful Dead
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Sibbo wrote:Nup ,I like black top under my wheels , not against my skin .That thing leaves my arms exposed .I like my arms .
http://coloradocoolwear.com/CoolVests.htm

I the vest is used for cooling the body, not protecting it.
I don't understand how it works - they don't give much away in the advertisment.
Similar vests I have seen you just saturate in cold water and wear beneath your riding jacket - mesh or not. They are quite effective.
But I suppose they are marketing to the H-D/Goldwing crowd who's skin is tough as nails.
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

On a road trip I suit up. Pants and jacket until it get above 90. But lets get real. In Texas, you can't use a motorcyle as transportation and ATGATT. You can't walk into a buisness meeting in the gear, you have no place to store it, you can't sit there with other people and have that sweated inside the gear smell to you. So - its either cage or compromise. I do wear the FFH and just deal with the hat hair.

My son wears a half shell helmet cause its cool. So I send him the picture of my neghbors helmet a couple times a year. I think I will send it again tonight since I am thinking about it.

Some things are hard to prepare for. Jack (the neighbor) was on a two lane road and a role of pink insolation fell off the back of an oncomming pickup truck into his lap. He got this and a broken arm. No head damage - at least none we have linked to the crash.

1975 R90/6
1979 R65
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

Sibbo wrote: Thanks Gryphon ,but no thanks .I like sleeves , that vest leaves me way too exposed .
By wearing the cool vest under the mesh jacket, it still cools, but the jacket gives you the protection and armour. The phase change crystals in the vest work surprisingly well. I had doubts about the vest under the jacket but a friend assured me I should try it. It is actually better with the jacket because the mesh keeps a lot of the direct sun off, and provides protection, and still allows the cool air to circulate. The decision is yours, I just wanted to clear up that I was advising the vest under the mesh and not instead.
Gryphon

Resistance is futile; if less than 1 ohm.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

[quote="justoneoftheguys"]I don't understand how it works - they don't give much away in the advertisment.
Similar vests I have seen you just saturate in cold water and wear beneath your riding jacket - mesh or not. They are quite effective.quote]

The Colorado product uses bands of phase change crystals for cooling. You do give it a soak for about 15 minutes before you leave and the crystals become a sort of gel. They provide cooling as they change back to crystal form. This takes between 6-8 hours. I've been comfortable riding in 100F degree Oklahoma heat for several hours with the product. The vest is made of a poplin or canvass material that is damp, but not wet in use. I've been able to take off the jacket and vest and put them on the bike at a cafe and not been any damper than I would have been walking from the car across the parking lot.
Gryphon

Resistance is futile; if less than 1 ohm.