R75 ticking noise from lifter?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Duane Ausherman

Re: R75 ticking noise from lifter?

Post by Duane Ausherman »

When stoning or filing aluminum, keep the tool clean, as the alunminum dust will pile up and clog the tool.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

You can buy a straight fluted reamer with the exact diameter as the lifter. Pack its flutes with grease(to catch any metal shavings), ream out the burrs above the lifter piece and presto the piece comes out.
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
Beemerick

Post by Beemerick »

FInally got the lifter out. Not sure where to go from here. Other than this mess, internally the motor looks really good; however I have concerns about the gauges in the lifter bore as well as what looks like some rounding of the cam lobe.

Pix Here
Rick
<><

2004 R1150RT (sold)
2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
mattcfish

Post by mattcfish »

Did your autopsy determine what caused the lifter to jam in the first place. Was it the needle bearings?
I had a needle bearing on the rocker start to shed metal, but the shavings remained in the valve cover. Maybe I dodged a bullet there. How bad are the gauges in the lifter bore. If they aren't too bad, once the burrs are removed they may not cause a problem. Not sure what to tell you about the cam. They are pretty tough.... tough enough to break your lifter.
Used ones come up on eBay pretty often. I've got at least one spare, but I believe it uses the bigger seal.
Bellingham, WA USA
1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW 2002
1971 VW Westfalia
1985 VW Vanagon
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... s.1074183/
Beemerick

Post by Beemerick »

mattcfish wrote:Did your autopsy determine what caused the lifter to jam in the first place. Was it the needle bearings?
I was not able to figure out what caused the lifter to self-destruct, but based on the needle bearings in the oil pan, I have my ideas... As for the lifter bore damage, my previous post has a link to some pictures I took of the bore and cam, as well as the destroyed lifter itself; there are some pretty deep gauges in the lifter bore... Some sound advice after reviewing the photos would be very welcome. Right now I am leaning towards cleaning up the bore as best I can, and reassembling with new lifter (duh).
Rick
<><

2004 R1150RT (sold)
2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
mattcfish

Post by mattcfish »

Beemerick wrote:FInally got the lifter out. Not sure where to go from here. Other than this mess, internally the motor looks really good; however I have concerns about the gauges in the lifter bore as well as what looks like some rounding of the cam lobe.

Pix Here
It's really hard to see the damage to the bores in the pictures. How deep are they? The cam looks like it got banged up a little on the front of the lobe but the face looks OK. Again, real hard to tell from the pic. If the scores are running with the bore and not across it, I'd say just clean it up and slap a good used lifter in there. You could use a dial indicator to see what's up with the cam. Or..... just slap it back together and see how it runs. Cam replacement is not that tricky, especially with the pan off. You don't need to pull the trans.
Bellingham, WA USA
1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW 2002
1971 VW Westfalia
1985 VW Vanagon
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... s.1074183/
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

It matters none how deep the gouges are, only how much surface area is now gone. I would bet that you still have over 90% of the area.

You said, "Right now I am leaning towards cleaning up the bore as best I can, and reassembling with new lifter (duh)."

That would be my preference.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.