Heated grips.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
moosehead

Re: Heated grips.

Post by moosehead »

I second what dougie recommends...dual-star's...have them on my RS as well as naked R100.

Very effective. I have 2 stage heat control (standard with the old style dual-stars) low and high simply wired as hi/low 3 way switch. Rarely do I run HI...low is planty, in fact, have to shut them off every once in a while to "cool down" :o

Not pretty location for the heat controller switch on the RS but it works. Variable controller is blinf IMHO. Here's pic of them mopunted on the RS... on left side by the choke lever. Its where I have RAM mount for GPS
In cool weather I wear ski gloves...insulated on top and thin plam.

The dual-stars really work.
Retired from work....not life!
hools100RS

Post by hools100RS »

G'day Jeff, Oxford heated grips are the go mate. SIMPLE installation, 4 heat settings, nicely priced. Had 'em on the G/S for 4 years now, work really well, no worries!!
hools100RS

Post by hools100RS »

G'day Jeff, Oxford heated grips are the go mate. SIMPLE installation, 4 heat settings, nicely priced. Had 'em on the G/S for 4 years now, work really well, no worries!!
dougie

Post by dougie »

Heated grips in the Outback. Image
And I always thought you Aussies were a tough lot. :P :P :P
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Roy Gavin wrote: But it will have softened the ground up a bit. I just had to put my best mate, Jack the Jack Russell to sleep today, his liver just packed up. So at least the digging will be a bit easier tomorrow morning.

Now, I just gonna kill a bottle of Scotch.
That may not be a cure, but I'm sure it will help.

Greener pastures, Jack.
MS - out
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

There are certainly a few option to choose from.

Thanks chaps for your suggestions.

I've just looked again at the heated grips sold by Motobins.....with the grip power cable coming from the inside of the grip tube?
Does one drill holes in the handle bars to fit them? There is no information that I can see on the site so please excuse my ignorance.

Me 109..........still haven't come to grips.
Lord of the Bings
dougie

Post by dougie »

ME 109 wrote:I've just looked again at the heated grips sold by Motobins.....with the grip power cable coming from the inside of the grip tube?
Does one drill holes in the handle bars to fit them? There is no information that I can see on the site so please excuse my ignorance..
When I looked up K75S bars there were two versions. The one for heated grips had holes for wiring. I believe the wiring exit was near the middle between the clamps. Sorry I don't know the details because I bought the regular ones.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

ME 109 wrote:
Major Softie wrote:I've only used the 2-temp BMW heated grips - on a couple different bikes. My impression is that I would be much happier with an infinite control, as I frequently find myself in situations where low is too low and high is too high.

I know some of the aftermarket Snowmobile grips have infinite controls available as an option.
Even though I've not had heated grips before, I'm inclined to agree with you Major.
Dougie's link for heated grips has an option for infinite control. The company claimed it was similar to a light dimmer.

I wonder if it would work on heated arguments?
My ST has a 2 temp and off set fitted when I bought from a bloke from Canberra. I've used them up on the tableland in August but other than that, no .
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
ontic

Post by ontic »

A little while back after being alerted by the adv 'look what I found thread' (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 74&page=75) I bought a couple of sets of those stick-on under-grip wrap-around heaters- these ones to be precise, but at the time they were on sale for $20
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7G ... ip-heaters

Today (in anticipation of the alpine rally and with nightmares about my previous hand agony riding in wet sub-zero conditions) I followed the instructions on this write-up
http://www.vincestrangmotorcycles.com.a ... nstall.pdf
and installed them. As that link explains, by buying a double post three position switch instead of the one that comes in the kit, and changing the wiring a little, I have done away with the resistor and its waste of electricity, and have instead got two different on circuits, in parallel or in series. Parrelell is High, and in Series is Low.
In what is probably an electrical sin, I have it wired in to the parking light circuit (5 position ignition) along with my GPS- yes, if I ever sell this bike, I am one of those previous owners. (none of the wiring inside my headlight bucket is original in any way and I have simply continued the confusion).

Somehow I didn't let any smoke out during the electrical work- whoohoo! and I just took it for a test ride in the brisk afternoon here, in Jeans and a thin wool top and my very thin leather summer gloves.
Beautiful and warm!

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those 'best things I ever did' moments.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Excellent Hans! Good write up, thanks.

They are the type I was hoping to find in a local shop here.........
Living in the country has its drawbacks.

I've run out of time to do anything for this coming weekend however a bit of heat is on the list.
I fear I'm in for difficult times ahead with my hands. Years of belting shit out of things (construction) are causing me grief.

I've been looking on Ebay for a DIY carpel tunnel release :geek: kit.......
Lord of the Bings