Keeping your hands warm in cold riding weather.

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Steve78RS

Re: Keeping your hands warm in cold riding weather.

Post by Steve78RS »

SteveD wrote:
Keep the hands and fingers dry. Waterproofs/gortex.
Steve. I've been eying this glove for a while now. http://www.procycles.com.au/proddetail. ... 2607712992
I think I'm nearly ready to purchase online.

At $180AUD I'm thinking good value for money?

Steve from Dubbo
R100RS to R100S Conversion
Ron Moss

Post by Ron Moss »

I have a big box full of gloves that I have bought trying to keep my hands warm. None of them worked. I may try hot grips to see if that helps. If that doesn't maybe heated gloves. I have trouble keeping my hands warm even off the bike.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Steve78RS wrote: Steve. I've been eying this glove for a while now. http://www.procycles.com.au/proddetail. ... 2607712992

Steve from Dubbo
$180 !! I reckon electrically heated grips and standard gloves are the go .Certainly if there is no snow on the road .

I'm thinking a set of water proof gloves will be very useful though .
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Sibbo wrote:
Steve78RS wrote: Steve. I've been eying this glove for a while now. http://www.procycles.com.au/proddetail. ... 2607712992

Steve from Dubbo
$180 !! I reckon electrically heated grips and standard gloves are the go .Certainly if there is no snow on the road .
Yeah, it's tough to justify $180. I mean, I can't even see a roundel on them!!!
MS - out
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Yep, they're expensive all right.

However, at half the price, a similar glove claiming similar properties might last less than half as long. That's my experience with BMW gloves. They're quality and last well.

Mine are a similar thing, but an older model without some of these newer features, and as per my usual method, I got them off ebay at a heavily reduced price. They keep my hands dry. I use silk liners for extra warmth, and rely on the fairing for further wind protection. No electric grips for me...just yet.

On the Talbingo ride, I rode Grants bike for half an hour. His bike has electric grips. They were toasty alright.
Funny though, as Grant was still cold. I wasn't uncomfortable with my set up. Maybe Grant needs to stop the 3k am walks as an intrinsic extra layer of adipose insulation helps take the edge off? ;)
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Well ,if you have the ready it's probably well spent :) .My ST came with heated grips and bark busters (doing the same job as your fairing handswise ...nearly ! ).I've never had heated grips before and I am truly impressed .I was pretty worried about my fingers before a recent trip up the New England Hwy ,but with the heated grips it was a breeze ! I've done similar trips heated gripless and not enjoyed them at all .

Maybe you're just a hardier type than me !

Good Luck !
The Grateful Dead
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Sibbo wrote: ....Maybe you're just a hardier type than me ! ...
I doubt that Sibbo...that's certainly not the message from my post. Maybe it's my extra layer of adipose tissue!

I don't underestimate the value of the RS fairing. Keeping dry is one thing, and keeping the wind off is the other. The RS does this beautifully, and may even work better the faster you go. The other thing that I do if riding over time, in cold weather, is to layer up. Thermal long sleeves, another long sleeve shirt, then good jacket. That first layer of thermal undergarment makes a huge difference. If it was 0C or thereabouts, I'd have 2 thermal shirts.

The gloves I use do get wet, despite the fairing, but they're not exposed to the incessant direct blast of the wind. Most importantly they keep my hands dry. On a bike without the fairing, I couldn't say if they'd operate at the same level, but gortex makes that claim for their products. Ron Moss, as stated in his reply above may not support gloves as able to do the job.

I guess there should be some accounting for individual physiology, as some people are just colder types. In the '80's in the bike club I was in, there was a girl that had Raynaud's Phenomenon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27 ... Prevalence Have a look at those pictures. I've known of a couple of girls that experience this...no blokes. She rode a Pantah 500, no heated grips!!!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Interesting Steve .I wear pretty much what you have described with the addition on a layer of that blue 8mm camping matt on my chest under my jacket .It works very well indeed ! My ST ,from here on known as Matilda , has no fairing , just bark busters ....this probably makes a big difference .

I was impressed with the Hippo Hands idea and may try to come up with a design that is removable but adequate to shed rain and direct wind ,They would be even better than a fairing .Something like Charlies ,but perhaps more enveloping .I'd only need them in trips South or up onto the Tableland in Winter .
The Grateful Dead
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Hippo hands are the only way to go. with heated grips, the heat is on the inside, not the outside where the wind is cooling them. With hippo hands one can ride with the same gloves that one would need without the windchill factor. At freezing, light summer gloves are enough for standing around, or riding a bike at 65 mph.

Don't mess around with electricity, or thick gloves and mittens. Hippo hands solve the problem completely.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Duane Ausherman wrote:Hippo hands are the only way to go. with heated grips, the heat is on the inside, not the outside where the wind is cooling them. With hippo hands one can ride with the same gloves that one would need without the windchill factor. At freezing, light summer gloves are enough for standing around, or riding a bike at 65 mph.

Don't mess around with electricity, or thick gloves and mittens. Hippo hands solve the problem completely.
4 pages and you finally joined in. Thanks, Duane!