New to me: R80G/S

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
SteveD

Re: New to me: R80G/S

Post by SteveD »

Speedo parts boxed and ready for post tomorrow Hans.

Soda blasting looks like fun. It might clean up a decent exhaust fan too!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ontic

Post by ontic »

Excellent Steve, thanks a lot mate. I owe you one.

I've been keen to try the soda blasting but space is my primary issue. I did a little DIY sand blasting with a jig I made like that one in the link- luckily I did it outside my shed in the driveway, but there was still sand and particles covering half our yard and myself, even inside my ears!
For soda blasting, it would be nice to have some sort of media containment and even recovery thing sorted out. My jig at least sucks through a fair amount of sand, and will probably suck even more soda. Also need to find somewhere I can buy baking soda by something like the 5KG bag (baking wholesalers maybe?). Some sort of cheap tent-like carport frame covered in clear plastic so it is reasonably air tight, with plastic on the ground for sweeping up and re-using the settled soda, might be an option (in my friends spacious shed- or my driveway). Supplied air (for respiration) might be a good idea working in that though.
With two bikes in the shed, and all my other junk, space is at a real premium for me.

I wonder what other commonly available and cheap media could be used?
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

What about a gas mask from Aussie disposals? They have had them in the past.

That wholesale place down at Docklands might have decent quantities of baking soda?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

I think blasting media suppliers would have bulk quantities of soda specially formulated for blasting.
I seem to remember reading that, somewhere.

Find a commercial blaster in your area, if you can't find a supplier. They might help you.
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

ontic

Post by ontic »

Steve,
I got the parts yesterday arvo and had a good fiddle with them last night. A lot of similarities and quite a few differences too- some of them rather significant. I've put the speedo you sent me together, and then pulled it and my original one apart again and tried to figure out what parts I can swap.
I need to have another go at it tonight. It is a bit confusing.
It doesn't look like I can do a do a major parts transplant, but if I can fix up a few seized bits from mine, then there might just be enough essential swappable parts from yours to get it working again.
We'll see.
Many thanks again for the parts- I'll update soon on how it goes.

Justoneoftheguys,
thanks for that, the soapsupplies one looks good and affordable- I've asked my mate (with the big shed) if we can set up a soda blasting tent and he is keen for it. He's got an SR500 he is rebuilding, so we can both use it.

A good summer project.

Aside from that, I've removed and have been cleaning up the exhaust system. Got the big bad rear rack off too.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Armaguidon13

Post by Armaguidon13 »

aloy part for speedo intead of fragile plastic seems a real good upgrade.
ontic

Post by ontic »

From this

to this

Back together and every function working, at least on the bench.
I must have pulled this thing apart and put it back together about 87 times. Had to fab up a few parts and repair bits that I broke while pulling it apart and putting it back together, etc. Notice the spiffy little trip meter reset button I 'turned-up' out of a big old monel screw from my boat. I scoured my shed for those scrap little stainless springs you know you kept for some reason, for the trip meter reset button and went through about 4 versions until I found one that actually worked reliably in both the down and up roles.

Many thanks for the R65 donor SteveD, I couldn't have got it working without mining it for parts.

I didn't quite know where to set the odometer at. It had stopped dead at some time in it's past (at about 12,700Km IIRC). It was also on its second engine. Meaning, the numbers don't really mean much, and it is not like I am trying to sell it and fool someone. At about round 62 of putting it back together, for authenticity I had it set at the 12,700Km mark. Later on, sometime in the early 80's I thought I might as well restart the clock. Of course I could be convinced to pull it apart again to set it back to 12K :mrgreen:

About to buy some GS forks, an Ohlins rear shock, and possibly a tank of some larger sort.
Should be some progress coming up soon.
Cheers,
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
borderer

Post by borderer »

Hi Ontic
After your email I decided to register here too
Nice to follow your rebuild thread
Sorry i didnt find this earlier as I beleive BAMuk is doing replacement GS speedos
P/S sold the monster tank