Keeping your hands warm in cold riding weather.

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
00weel

Re: Keeping your hands warm in cold riding weather.

Post by 00weel »

Steve,

Finding what works best for you and your climate region you ride in, is for me the most important factor. Deciding what electrical power you have on your RS is priority one. Having heated grips altho they are nice to some degree I rarely use them. I prefer good phase change gloves (ex:Lee Parks) and an elctrified controllable jacket liner (ex: Gerbings) to keep my hands and core warm in my riding region. Maybe for some, a hokey patchwork of recycled parts that are not engineered for a specific application meets some peoples criteria for a solution to this issue, I dont. I would prefer to maximize what I have thru well engineered products that work in harmony with my existing electical systems output. Besides, better to have a friend who is a shop keeper making a mortgage and supporting engineers and factory workers who provide a well designed products than a dumpster dive bike that minimizes your electrical system that gives diminished results and leaves you unsatisfied.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: Keeping your hands warm in cold riding weather.

Post by Airbear »

Sunbeem wrote:The local method of heating grips,or gloves, is to use the element wire from an old electric blanket -- I've never needed to go to that extreme, but it seems a simple way of avoiding unnecessary expense.
I think it would be vital to insulate the bars, so they didn't absorb any heat, then build up a nice leather grip over the wire.
There would be some electrical work to do, but I can't see the point of paying some shopkeeper's mortgage, and supporting a factory somewhere, when I could do it all myself, from largely re-cycled components.
That's still the way most motorcyclists, (as opposed to bikers), do it round here.
It's doesn't eat your beer money, it's green, and it's what Sunday afternoons are for.

Sunbeem.
An excellent solution, Sun. It is very satisfying to make use of available resources to create something that works. I almost wish it was cold enough here to try that one.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
dougie

Found this...

Post by dougie »

I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
SteveD

Re: Found this...

Post by SteveD »

She'llbe even gets a mention. :D
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.