I hate my neighbor!!

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
melville

Re: I hate my neighbor!!

Post by melville »

Rob Frankham wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:53 am Not a /5 fork... the /5 fork has two deep ribs at the front tapering fairly evenly from the top to the spindle. I think the forks are originally from a R60/6. No disc brake caliper mount so it must be a drum braked machine.

Rob
Of course! I was going on the business at the lower triple--is that part of a /5 friction damper?
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

Don't think so, the stock friction damper consists of two sort of teardrop shaped arms. I've never seen anything like the thing on that bike.

Rob
ImageImageImage
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

That lot'll keep you busy for a while, Mel.

And no red leathers required - think how much money you've saved.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Those Ducatis are tempting, but sticking with airheads is probably the best in the long run. They are increasing in value, worth even more than my oilhead. The Ducs are high maintenance and parts are $$$, maybe even availability issues. Since you have already done a restoration on the current ride, should be a piece of cake.
I got a free bike earlier this month, a 86 Honda XL6000R, so far $1100 in parts and not done, but I am having fun, I think :) . A least it's a good winter project.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I've just spent a week away riding. One of the lads has a 2001 900SS. He's had it 18 years. He says he's never had a repair done except to tip over damage to bodywork.
It regularly gets its expected services and recently the high cost saw him move to a different mechanic to save a bit. He's never even changed the oil on it.
It still runs flawlessly but he finds the suspension starting to affect his back on certain roads. Fatigue happens quicker.
It suffered a sidestand mishap in gravel carpark that snapped the clutch lever. Bush mechanics fixed it but it took phone calls and overnight express post to get a replacement from the north island 36 hours later. Total cost was a surprising $OZ70 inclusive of the lever, the post and the fitting & adjustment. Not too expensive really but the scarcity was a concern.
If you get a Ducati, ensure the side stand has a foot extension added to it.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.