Take airhead to Europe?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Ridercam

Re: Take airhead to Europe?

Post by Ridercam »

I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

What is a great car without drivers?

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

And lastly some modern cars.

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Finally some more airhead motorcycle stuff.

One of the goals of this ride: Great St Bernard Pass is the third highest road pass in Switzerland. It connects Martigny in the canton of Valais in Switzerland with Aosta in the region Aosta Valley in Italy. It is the lowest pass lying on the ridge between the two highest mountains of the Alps. Yes - it is that good.

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

I ended up riding through Switzerland in a day after the pass so I could ride the Black Forest the next day. In late September, you can feel the air change and the coolness of shadow as you ride the mountain passes.

The rain started coming down - I luckily made it to Karlsrule and found a old inn l (a favorite of the Nazis during the war) overlooking the city. A group of Spaniards invited me to join them for dinner. My room was actually an apartment with 3 bedrooms with a kitchen and a living room 60 euros a night including breakfast (i could have had 6 sleep comfortably there)

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

In the morning I took a very scenic ride through the outskirts of the Black forest and the lovely farmland back to Heidelberg. I arrived at Stefan's and dropped the bike off. I stayed the night. I walked to the local gashof and enjoyed a german meal. It was a perfect way to end this portion of the trip.

Before I left - I washed all the bugs off, made a list of things needing done so when I return, folded up my riding suit and helmet and put the cases away until next summer where I will ride again.

I walked to the train station and made my way to Berlin to meet my wife for a Backroad luxury bike ride https://www.backroads.com/award-winning-tours/germany (she works for the company) from Berlin to Dresden - a discovery of East Germany. If you are interested - i can show you a few pictures and observations on that most excellent portion as well.
melville

Post by melville »

Ridercam wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 am Americans forget that Fiat and the dozens of factories around Turin is so significant to autos and bike. These makers of the peidmont really were innovators.

I'm reading Legnano on that red car. Chuey and I recognize that name as a bicycle maker.

Keep this coming--you're living the dream!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

melville wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:38 pm I'm reading Legnano on that red car. Chuey and I recognize that name as a bicycle maker.

Keep this coming--you're living the dream!
I knew folks would find value from the thread. Glad to add to the connections and interests.

The dream was decades in coming - it took planning, picking up and working extra shifts and and sending away one of my most favorite things so I could fulfill one of the biggest things on my bucket list. As you can tell, the stars for me to do this did aline. I hope others can find inspiration with their airhead as I have done.
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Nice! I'm very much enjoying reading about your adventures, Ted.