Take airhead to Europe?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Ridercam

Re: Take airhead to Europe?

Post by Ridercam »

[youtube]https://youtu.be/idp64GojLeE[/youtube]
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

The museum is open and classics cars and motorcycles are available to drive on their track!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/a2io4eUkCd4[/youtube]
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

i decided that I was not going to let the morning unfortunate turn change my ambitious plans. Got to the collection after 1/2 hour on the motorway. It was a rare chance to see something that I have only read about and equally importantly unencumbered by others. My iphone which I used to take many of the photos was only 50% charge due to a melted connecting cable which had fallen on my hot pipes.

After a few hours and other restroom break... I got on the bike and rode the autobahn to Heidelberg. The temperature was warm - reaching nearly 90 in the mid afternoon. I stopped in the town square found a fantastic room at 60 euros a night with breakfast in old town. Checked in, took a shower, laid down for a nap waiting out the waning cramps and then got out for a glorious late spring day walk in Heidelberg.

veiw from my bed in my room.

The kind and generous owners of hotel gave me secure parking....

Note all videos edited crudely on iPhone.

By the end of the day... everything started to feel better. I even took a gelati which wasn't the wisest move but still delicious.

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Before I wrap up the last few days of this trip... it is worth it to discuss the breakfast included with the rooms in Europe like this nice hotel in Heidelberg that I got for 60 euros a night. they should be proud of thier fare as it is finer a breakfast than most Americans have once a year in special occasions. Just avoid the fleabag stays where salmonella is served daily like the one in Basel.

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

After breakfast. I packed up and rode the bike back to Stefan. The top fork seal blew on the way to Heidelberg. It was the only issue for the entire 1/2 half of my summer ride. I felt was way ahead of the game and send it out for repairs before I got back to it in early September.

I washed the bike, folded my riding suit, wiped down my boots and then stuff it into the bags and placed the below up in Stefans storage. I also left my helmet and gloves, some cycle shorts and a very special items that I found years ago in the middle of the road in north eastern Oregon.

Here is the sprit pouch I have shown before. I was granted it one early morning on a lonely street as I rode solo on my 50th year - 3000 mile ride through Oregon, Washington, Montana, Nevada and Northern California. It called to me and now have come to understand through touch and dreams that I hold it for another who was not worthy. It has special magic for me and think it keeps me safe as I travel on my bike away from home and family. It is sealed inside the riding jacket. It will remain with me as long as I am worthy. Currently in Germany keeping bike and personal possessions safe for me for next time.

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

After thanking Stefan and his new bride (was married over the weekend) and giving them a fine bottle of prosecco sparkling wine which I carried in my saddle bags for 800 miles, settling up the outstanding minimal storage fees and placing a repair tag on the wonderbike... I was off to Paris for an overnight and then a flight home and to my sons last days of high school and graduation.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/5BIXOGsERYc[/youtube]
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Paris hotel in the 10th. 130 euros a night. A bargain with luxury also with fine breakfast.

If you know KC and I, you know we love Paris. Food and walking are best combined. Once started, we can walk and nibble for hours until the late night. As to follow the script, I did what I know. a large tasty beer, dried meats, cheese and bread snack... 6 euros.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/m0y4SOJATj0[/youtube]
Last edited by Ridercam on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Would you like to hear about part 2 of my summer ride - the September return? :)

(Second half of the summer ride kicked off on Labor Day weekend. This is one of the routes i was seriously considering. Heidelberg through Lyon to the French Alps and to Arles to Paris and maybe pass through for Netherlands sailing adventure and quick run back to Heidelberg.)...Below was the proposed second half. As you can tell - when I ride alone I make it up as I go.

SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Ridercam wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:55 pm Would you like to hear about part 2 of my summer ride - the September return? :)
Does the pope fart?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.