Take airhead to Europe?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: Take airhead to Europe?

Post by Airbear »

Yes, please proceed.

The "Netherlands sailing adventure" sounds like an interesting off-road diversion.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

As I planned the trip there were certain way points i had marked the first half of the second trip.

A video of inspiration.

Last edited by Steve in Golden on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed embedded video (feature is not as easy to use as I had hoped for).
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

We forget the how wonderful and life changing these trips are. If I could inspire anther to step off and try thier hand at travel from this thread it was worth it. Germany and most of the rest of Europe need not be over the top and the best parts are just a few euros. I hope to have shown my fellow Americans that for the same price as a 4 day trip to Disney World in Florida... one can have a over a week in Europe that Disney has tried hard to copy. The Germans, Italians, Swiss and French all are different and yet share the common thread; life is short, ever changing and one needs to take the time to slow down and enjoy the simple, fine things as the seasons change and we are young only once.

I would hope that Anthony Bordain would have loved my chosen route and the touch of everyday food that was. It was the essence of why he promoted this verve and flavor we know is just at our finger tips and a bite away. On a motorcycle it is easy to live life fully and in the moment.
Last edited by Ridercam on Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

During Labor day weekend I landed in Heidelberg after a stop in Iceland (it was raining, cold, foggy and miserable - was glad to cut the 30 hour extension out!.) the cheap WOW airline flights from San Francisco to Frankfurt (269 dollars one way - was brutal for 12 hours. I rather skip that airlines again as the hard plastic seats, no inflight services including food and movies and carry on restrictions made an old fashion greyhound bus seem luxurious. I was glad to get to Germany, grabbed a beer and pretzel and took the train straight away for Heidelberg via Mannheim. Easy enough with a local stop near Stefan motorcycle bnb - all taking 45 mins from Frankfurt.

Last time I left the bike in June - I had a blown fork seal; the steering head races were notched and brake lines sketchy. For a couple hundred euros - those were fixed. I would have normally done the work there but I figured the 2 extra days of running around, hotel and expenses i would be even. It turns out the bmw dealerships mechanics here in Germany are half the cost of the ones in the states. Good thing too as all i needed to do is plan for the day, pack, gas and go!

Last edited by Ridercam on Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Starting on the 4th of September - I rode through some of the most beautiful landscapes Europe had to offer. I have tried to remain true to staying off autostratas and sticking to secondary and single lane roads. Coffee, cheese, bacon, beer and people. The people were aways gracious. It is amazing how feminine the women are to a single traveler. Moreover It is nice to see so many feminine women there that were open, beautiful and kind - it is a shock when coming from a place where many if not most women are angry, often unpleasant and guarded.

On the first day, I powered a small section of highway and into the countryside. Stopped for a lingering german lunch - 10 euros. My goals was to make France. The beer and the time change made me sleepy and I took a nap under a tree in a city park. I woke refreshed and rode into the evening.

Last edited by Ridercam on Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

The sound of happy airhead. She was ready!

Last edited by Steve in Golden on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed embedded video (feature is not as easy to use as I had hoped for).
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

I had 3 days to get to the south of France to once again meet my wife there on her travel related business. There was much leasure riding to be done. I used the iPhone map for general maps to get from here to there. I found it far better to keep to my own clock. I didn't worry and knew where ever I was bookings.com had my restful back.

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Since I got a late start - i ended up riding to dusk through the Black forest. Found a room in northern France for 40 euros a night with breakfast. The morning was about exploring the Jura.

ImageImage

A hidden memorial of US Airmen shot down in 1944 in the middle of an open field in this beautiful countryside.

Last edited by Ridercam on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Chateau-Chalon was the highlight in over 300 miles of mostly single and double lane riding. To get there you have to come in on the west by a road with numerous hairpin curves. the west side of the hill top village is a sheer cliff, the east side slopes gently away in vineyards famous for their white wine, Château-Chalon - only had a small sip!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/WHm2ZsJ5F_k[/youtube]
Last edited by Ridercam on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

All roads lead to Rhône and rain. Leaving the Jura i headed for Lyon.

A cool top secret boat that I discovered on the way on a single lane.

Got a room for 30 euros a night in a 18th century castle in Lyon. My room had the smallest bath ever, kind host and the breakfast was good.

From Lyon I headed to Provence and Le Baux. The humidity climbed and soon once on the road it started getting wet. The skies rippped opened up, filled my boots and flooded the roads. Luckily the rain was warm - I took the time to dry off with a coffee and eclair.