Paint

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Seth

Paint

Post by Seth »

So my buddy who owns the R90S that I caretake is interested in getting it repainted.
It's currently just a solid red, but he really wants Daytona Orange.
Other than Holt BMW (yes, great quality but expensive), are there other options any of you would suggest.
The bike is currently in the Northeast US, but he's probably willing to get the parts to any place in the US.
Ray Atwood in VT has apparently retired.

Thanks in advance.
Seth
Chuey

Re: Paint

Post by Chuey »

I know this is late. Maybe it will help.

Robert Prayther in Valley Center, Calif. is a top notch painter. He doesn't do the pin stripes but I think he'll get it to the man who does them. He was/is the painter for a BMW dealership in this area and he does lots of BMWs. When I say he is the painter, he is the one they take their stuff to to have it painted. He does good work.

It would mean shipping your parts literally about as far as could be in the continental US. This is in Southern Calif. :)

Chuey
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Maybe ask at Max BMW ?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Update on this thread.
My friend had his bike painted by this guy:
http://precisionmotorcyclepainting.com/

He thinks it was the first R90S he ever painted as he had to send him quite a few pictures as to how he wanted it to come out.
But the guy did a real nice job. Very clean. Perfectly smooth finish. And he did repairs on a number of pieces.
Took a little longer than expected as the parts were sent in the fall and didn't return until late spring, but that was ok.
The price was very reasonable.
Attachments
IMG_8323.jpg
IMG_8323.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
sullivs

Post by sullivs »

May I veer off on a tangent with a question about paint? I'm getting my '84 R100 tank and bodywork repainted after rebuilding the entire bike. I have received paint bids that are all over the map. One shop does great work and hand-paints the pinstripes, the other creates the pinstripes by painting it first with the pinstripe color, then masking it. I have seen examples of both shops, on BMW's, and the quality from both shops is fantastic. The bid for the hand-painted pinstripe job is much higher, and I plan to sell the R100 after it is done. It originally has hand-painted pinstripes.

My question is... do the hand-painted pinstripes carry a lot of weight in the BMW world to warrant the extra cost? Will the re-selling price of my bike suffer if I go with the masked pinstripes?

Thanks for your two cents worth,
Steve
1975 Triumph T160
1984 BMW R100 (my "modern" bike)
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

sullivs wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:01 pm My question is... do the hand-painted pinstripes carry a lot of weight in the BMW world to warrant the extra cost? Will the re-selling price of my bike suffer if I go with the masked pinstripes?

Thanks for your two cents worth,
Steve
Would depend entirely on the knowledge and expectations of the buyer of course but BMW riders can be a fussy lot, especially if everything else is great. To someone that knows it'll stick out like dogs balls. It then becomes a point of haggle. "Shame about the pinstripes, it'll cost me $... to get that fixed, so I'll offer $... less".

If the whole package is a good deal I doubt it'd matter too much.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
sullivs

Post by sullivs »

So, it sounds like the hand-painted pinstripes would be more correct? If so, that's what I'll stick with.

Thanks,
Steve
1975 Triumph T160
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

Well done hand painted pin stripes to the correct pattern will certainly add a few dollars to the value...badly executed work or stripes to the wrong pattern will knock quite a bit off, more than well executed masked stripes. My advice with hand pin striping is don't go there unless you're sure the painter knows his stuff...

Rob
ImageImageImage
sullivs

Post by sullivs »

Thank you for the advice. I will pursue the well-done hand-painted pinstripes to complete the bike. I will post some photos of the completed job.

Steve
1975 Triumph T160