OG Airhead ponders 9RT Urban GS

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Ridercam

OG Airhead ponders 9RT Urban GS

Post by Ridercam »

After 35 years of riding airheads - I think it is time to consider a new motorcycle as an every day rider. I think this is the closest thing to a new airhead that I can find. They are offering $2000 rebates, plus 1000 off and throw in some new gear on the new BMW bike if I buy soon and my much loved airhead is 6000 miles away.To get this or any other bike - i will need to give up weekends and days off for a few months to come with my side job. Thats not all bad though - i like what i do and living in California.. and i can ride there in style..

What do you say?

I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Ridercam

Re: OG Airhead ponders 9RT Urban GS

Post by Ridercam »

The Urban GS is the closest modern bike that I have found which may ergonomicly right for me, is similar in opposed twin feel and that also meets up upper most price point. Sure i could get a used bike which I could fix up... something I have done most of my life or I could get a bike read to go now.

I am getting whipped by 2 hour each way commutes to go 21 miles a couple of times a week. I will still drive many times but need reiable single seat transportation to navigate my urban world of the bay area and northern California. Since I plan to use my bike as an integral part of my video and photography business - I will be able to depreciate it over the next few years. I am planning adding soft bags with padded carbon fiber liners to carry my stuff. A backpack for the laptop. When the weather is crappy - I'll take the truck

My plan is something quite similar to this set up... :0

I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Get whatever it is that works for you. If it fits you and your plans and you like it...

I was looking for a R1100S at heavily reduced used prices, but eventually got this...

...at a heavily reduced price...so far so good. :D
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

SteveD wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:13 am Get whatever it is that works for you. If it fits you and your plans and you like it...

I was looking for a R1100S at heavily reduced used prices, but eventually got this...

...at a heavily reduced price...so far so good. :D
That is a super bike.

It is quite a departure from the airheads we used to ride. Looks like you are quite happy with her.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

I bought a new bike - it is the first bike in 25 years that isn't an airhead. it is also the first bike I bought from the dealer. huge for me as I have been a life long airhead.

As for the bike: urban GS at highway speed likes 70 to 85. Yes - it can go faster but you can tell at a certain point that it tells me to stay within limits. The ABS and traction control are truly great safety features - i didn't know i would like them so much already. I don't think she (the new bike) is as symbiotic to my soul as the old airhead which I ride in Europe. My new bike is spirited in a way that brings fun back to the modern riding, is capable in the urban landscape and can be shaped to fit any adventures I would want to do in the future. It is more than a great bike that I just got; it is a sign of metaphorical change as i switch life gears again.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/RpSCHC2IUHg[/youtube]
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Nice bike Ted! Looks like a blast to ride, I bet she's peppy!
I don't think she (the new bike) is as symbiotic to my soul as the old airhead which I ride in Europe.
After you've ridden her for a while, and gotten to know her better, I'd wager you'll love her just as much as your airhead. Maybe in a different way but just as much.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Since I bought the bike... I have worked nearly everyday. I had yesterday off and finally got my wife to do ride 2 up on it despite the terrible fires that have caused toxic smoke from the devastating and heartbreaking fires of Northern California to pollute the air. A half hour motor was all we thought we should do plus ice cream cones were waiting for us.

It took her a few minutes to become comfortable and for me. The comfort we share on the r100 is way different and that familiarity is different when it comes to this new one. The 2 up ergonomics of the airhead is really pleasant. I would go as far to say the r100 might "feel" better while in saddle. The Urban GS has a butter smooth transmission with the power to pull away from the lights, the higher seat hight and the exceptional tracking of the bike was noted by both of us. The GS does a nice putter around town staying at 30 in 2nd without too much effort. At stops, the bike is well planted and easy to put my feet down as we do stop and go. The brakes are really nice and the bike goes effortlessly over tired city streets and small potholes.

Currently I have 70 miles on the bike. I'll report more when I have done some serious saddle time.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

loving it. It's not an airhead but there is so much fun with that motor!