Idiot v. Motorbikes, Rounds 3, 4, and 5

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
gspd

Re: Idiot v. Motorbikes, Rounds 3, 4, and 5

Post by gspd »

melville wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:03 am I did find that the flywheel marks were all gone from the lightening except for F. So I worked the crank around with a chopstick in the plug hole to find TDC and made a mark on the flywheel. I'm glad I now own a dialback timing light.
Once I had TDC it was natural to check the valve adjustment.
I only remove the timing plug to check the timing.
You don't need the TDC mark to adjust the valves.
Just rotate the engine until the rockers are both rocking (exhaust closing and intake opening) on one cylinder and adjust the other side which will have both lifters safely on the heel of the cam (valves closed).
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
melville

Post by melville »

A wee break from Elsa to check in on Edgar. He was close to miling out on a valve clearance check and an oil change, so I found TDC and pulled the valve covers today. I also found this:

Left exhaust. Parts are ordered and hopefully we'll be going again next week. Too bad, as the other three valves were all within .001" of correct.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

Ouch!

Not what you want to find...

Rob
ImageImageImage
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

How many should there be?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Oak wrote that there are either 30 or 31 depending on who makes the bearings. He listed the part number a 11-33-1-261-712. For 30 bearings, there will be a space which suggests you can get another in between but it won't fit. For 31 bearings, that extra space is essentially gone since they are slightly smaller.

Kurt
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

The rollers come in a steel inner race with the ends flanged over to stop the rollers coming out. If they have come out in use, it inplies that the flangeing has failed allowing the rollers to move longitudinally and come out completely. Putting the rollers back in again isn't really an option because they'll simply come back out. New bearings are the order of the day.

Rob
ImageImageImage
melville

Post by melville »

There was to be no reinserting these anyway, as several of them had broken in the exit process.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
melville

Post by melville »

The parts arrived and went right on. I finished the valve adjustment and took it for a ride to warm the oil for the change. When I got back, I let it idle on the centerstand a minute or two and listened for any differences side to side. It had been a bit louder on the left but now I can't tell a difference.

Nothing came up on a magnet pushed up the sump drain. Nor did I see any needles in the drained oil.

I'll be doing some short rides and watching for Artificial Rough for the next few days. I do intend to take an overnighter in the next week or so.
melville

Post by melville »

Finished the polish on the carbs. I was a bit challenged by their crustiness and by the limits of how small Dremel makes buffing equipment:

Clearly I need some ball burnishing equipment. These will look good on the bike.

Next up is verifying spark and timing of same. Then hopefully we get to make some noise!
gspd

new alliteration

Post by gspd »

melville wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:19 am These will look good on the bike.
BING bada BLING!
Remember, you heard it here first :D
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"