Border Village 2019.

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
SteveD

Border Village 2019.

Post by SteveD »

This years attempt at a 4500km 6 day ride to the WA border for a buffet dinner started with loads of maintenance. Both bikes were prepped and well ready, as were we. We even had a mechanic come along with us too. Welcome to Brett from Willow Grove. Brett was a little nervous as he had not ever attempted such a long ride.

The D1 map, but you’ll need to add another 110kms for the Gippy boys. I was to meet them at Calder Caltex at 0600 for the longest day of the week.
Day 1 was over 1000kms to an old SA mining town named Burra. It had been a cool night in Melbourne and 0600 is usually about when it gets the coldest overnight. We headed off towards Bendigo, all excited and raring to get going. By the time we got to Kyneton, the temp gauge on Bretts F800gs BMW said -3C!!! Brrrr…then calculate the windchill at 110kph and it’s around -10-15C on our fingers!
Nonetheless, we pressed on, shivering excitedly probably just enough to generate some body heat from all those muscle contractions. Grant and I were on 1981 R100RS BMW’s, ol’ skool, no heated anything. We were relying on Aldi thermals, good biking gear and fierce determination but our bikes have excellent fairings so that helped. Brett on the other hand had no such fairing. His screen was tall and narrow and not as effective. He did however have heated hand grips. They might have been his saviour.
We regrouped and stopped to shiver together at the turn off before Bendigo. It’s hard to have a decent conversation when yer teeth are clatterin’ away! The ground by the roadside was frosty and the hills had a sheen of white too, glistening in the rising sun. There was a mob of ‘roos in the paddock that had us worried but we need not have been. No doubt they were probably heading off to cuddle up somewhere of their own trying to stay warm.
We knew we were cold when we took advantage of the stop for roadside ablutions. The operative word was shrinkage! We didn’t need to worry about anyone seeing us either as the steam from warm fluid meeting frost was enough to provide some privacy cover from the passing traffic!
With that stop over and done with we proceeded to Wycheproof for petrol, then Ouyen for a snack.
Pinnaroo was next, via the Sunraysia Hwy, turning north towards Berri. This time we had a welcome and uneventful ride into Burra. We met our friend Doug who had dragged his new caravan from Adelaide on a “sorting it out” trip of a few days around the riverland.

ImageImageImageImage
Just outside Burra.
Day 2.
Burra, Port Augusta, Whyalla, Elliston, Streaky Bay. ~ 714kms. This pic was on the downslope towards Port Augusta, at the lower end of Horrocks Pass which is a short twisty road that drops from the higher plains to the coast.
Grant with supplies...
0630 across Streaky Bay

Last edited by SteveD on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:36 am, edited 11 times in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Re: Border Village 2019.

Post by ME 109 »

That's a bloody big ride you fellas, glad you all had a good time and made it home safely.

Great pics!
Lord of the Bings
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Looks very nice! Looking forward to more.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

End of D2...Brett getting his thong caught in a cray pot.
Wildlife...

Dinner, ala chief chef Brett...we had salad yesterday. ;)
Last edited by SteveD on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

D3

Ceduna jetty...coffee break before the looong straight Nullabor Hwy.

D3 was our shortest day (other than my last day)
This stretch of the ride started chilly. Clear skies meant a cool morning. Yesterday I had blown my headlight, but we had spares. The spare was a spare for a reason...a little dull but legal. Whilst glancing over the bike I noticed the seat lock askew in it's housing. I retrieved it and the screw, but then promptly lost the screw in the dirt. Couldn't find it either. Buggrrr. :x
We stopped at Ceduna for petrol @ $1.79.9/litre for 98ron. :shock: I started using 91ron after that. Bike ran fine, but subjectively didn't feel quite as good. Highest we saw was $2.07/litre at Nullabor Roadhouse.

No trees, straight road and an endless stream of big trucks!
ImageImage

Roadkill was surprisingly scarce. A handful of dead wombats around Penong and an occasional 'roo carass only. We didn't see camels or emus until D5.
Last edited by SteveD on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
SteveD

Bangers at the Bight. 2019.

Post by SteveD »

Still D3. Bangers at the Bight.
Brett carried a gas cooker with the plan to have a fry up atop the Great Australian Bight cliffs. We tootled the bikes out to the lookout via the pedestrian path. Brett setup and cooked an excellent feed in 10 minutes whilst Grant and me were taking pictures and enjoying the view. It was a sensational day, beautiful weather.
One bloke looked a tad miffed and he took a sly picture of us too! :roll:
The others that strolled out for the view were jealous of the bbq aroma.
Just one step back Grant...

Last edited by SteveD on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Still D3...after the bangers we headed off for the last stretch of the day. Our timing was good, avoiding a late arrival which would have us riding towards a setting sun. We arrived at the Border Village, booked in and dumped some gear then headed to Eucla, another 12kms towards Perth. We were stopped and inspected at the border to ensure we weren't carrying contraband, ie fruit. "No m'am, not us, no salad either"!
We stopped to look at the coastal plain that takes over from the mighty cliffs of the bight. The highway swerves down Madura Pass onto coastal flats on its way further west. After taking in the view, we then checked out the old Telegraph Station ruins, set amongst the shifting sand dunes down by the beach. Some clowns had their FWD stuck in the dunes.
We filled up at the Eucla motel 'cause it was the cheapest local option, 10c cheaper /litre..

Then it was back to the Village for a feed, a chat, then sleep for a big D4 to Kimba. One bloke we spoke to was planning on a 1500km return to home the next day. Hmmm we thought...suicidal maybe? Despite the surprizing lack of roadkill, it was still about, and he was headed to Mildura where we saw the most just 2 days later. No bad reports heard so hopefully he arrived ok.
Dinner was a buffet, help yourself, as much as you can eat. There were maybe 70-80 blokes all pigging out on beef, lamb, salt & chilli squid, curry, sweet & sour sumthin'. I don't think I saw any salad :roll: , but the cake and fruit dessert was just right. :D
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Some history...http://bordervillageroadhouse.com.au/bo ... n-history/

I attended it twice in the late '80's, both times on a MG LeMans mk2. Once two up! I took a camera one year...but didn't wind the film on correctly. Boy was I p!ssed off when I realised that!

A pic from Grant. Me and Brett the chef...
Last edited by SteveD on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Excellent report and pics, Steve.
Riding endless straight roads doesn't appeal to me much, but I guess it might be easier on a bike with a fuselage.

Note for 'mericans: Thong = flip-flop. Brett didn't get his skimpy underwear caught in the cray pot. Er, unless he did.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Thanks Charlie. It was a cold miserable day today here in Melbourne so I did some sums.
Petrol for ~4300kms cost $530. Accommodation was $230 each for 5 nights out.Tents would been cheaper but then setup after a long day was not appealing.

D4. Heading home. In Eucla we were two time zones away...that had us a little confused to the point we left maybe a tad later than we'd planned. Nonetheless the rising sun was just above the horizon, necessitating some electrical tape across the top of the visor to block the direct sun. Tilt the head down a tad for the best position.
ImageImage

A reasonable distance today, but the wind was just a tad stronger. It made Brett's life a little uncomfortable on his F800gs. The RS's seemed to plough thru and it was ok behind the fairing. Eventually it turned to a NW coming over our left shoulder as a slight tail wind.

The roads are loooong & mostly straight. Big trucks, caravans and campervans galore. There were a few bikes headed back too, always 4-5 at each gas stop. First stop, Nullarbor roadhouse. Netsteal drone pic...

It got to 22-24C, excellent for riding.

I need to do more picture transfer...more to come.

Last edited by SteveD on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.