Highland, Lochs and Islands

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Highland, Lochs and Islands

Post by Rob Frankham »

Thought I wasn't going to be leaving at all... I got the bike out of the shed and but it on the main stand, then went back to get the panniers. As I came out with a pannier in each hand, I watched the bike roll slowly forward off the stand and crash on it's side... B*gg&. The problem of having an acre and a half of land with no flat areas at all.

Fortunately, there wasn't a lot of damage... a few (additional) scratches and a broken mirror. Even more fortunately, I have a spare mirror head. A quick ten minutes with a socker set and away we go.

Once on the road, the trip to Newtonmore was fairly uneventful although the wind over Drumochter (Druimauachder if you prefer) Pass was a bit disruptive so I decided to turn off at Dalwhinnie (of distillery fame) and go via Laggan. Arriving at Newtonmore I visired the Highland Folk Museum for lunch in the cafe and a quick look round a number of the exhibits.
17th Century Long House in the Highland Folk Museum
17th Century Long House in the Highland Folk Museum
20190915_125707 (r).jpg (126.27 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Come half past one, I decided it was time to make a move as I wanted, as usual, to go a more ''adventurous' route home.

The journey took me back to Laggan where I continued on the A86 to Spean Bridge then onto the A82 to Fort William. I didn't stop there but continued along the A82 to Ballachulish and crossed the bridge turning onto the A828 following the shore of Loch Linnhe.

Craving liquid refreshment (and a comfort stop) I found the Castle Stalker cafe near the village of Appin. A good cup of tea and a scone with a view overlooking the eponymous Castle perched on an island in the Loch. In spite of a couple of light showers near Fort William, the weather turned fine and the vista was suitable magnificent. The below is only a phone camera view but it gives a flavour...
View over Loch Linnhe and Castle Stalker
View over Loch Linnhe and Castle Stalker
20190915_161557 (r).jpg (152.54 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Suitably refreshed, I crossed the bridge at Connel Ferry and head inland on the A85.

The A85 is a really great biking road. A continuous series of bends and curves with enough short straights to get past any lumbering opposition and truly great views of the Lochs and mountains. The old R80RT loved it and so did I.

Arriving evetually at Tyndrum I decided not to stop at The Green Welly Stop (a local 'biking venue' :roll: ) and continued on the A82 to Crianlarich where I turned off onto the A85 (again) following Glen Dochart to the Lix Toll and then down the A827 to Killin at the end of Loch Tay.

On familiar roads now, I headed alongside Loch Tay , through Fearnan and Kenmore to Aberfeldy and a final fill up, then it was over the Keltney Pass and around past Schiehallion home, arriving about 7 O'clock. A trip of around 230 miles all told.

A great ride out and some stunning scenery in great weather (mostly).

Rob
ImageImageImage
enigmaT120

Re: Highland, Lochs and Islands

Post by enigmaT120 »

Late reply, but nice and thanks for sharing.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Nice shots.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Thanks Rob. Great stuff. Dalwhinnie is my go to scotch with a reasonable price. Very nice.

What's your favourite scotch?

SE Oz Boxerwkers are meeting tomorrow night at the Blue Duck Inn at Anglers Rest in our local hills.

I'm sure we'll add a travelog of pix next week.

Bugger re the bike fall over. It's a sinking feeling. :(
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

I don't have a 'favourite', I like a lot of different ones. My tastes change dependant on when, where, whether it's with food and, if so, what I am or have been eating together with a number of other factors.

Dalwhinnie 10 year is a very nice single malt, the 15 year is smoother and 'Winter Gold' is really good as a 'warmer'.

Where I live, I am fortunate enough to have a number of distilleries close by. Dalwhinnie is about 30 miles away but Blair Atholl distillerty (Blair Atholl single malt and Bells blended) is closer in Pitlochry with Dewars (Dewars blended and Aberfeldy single malt) as close in Aberfeldy. Also just outside Pitlochry is the Edradour distillery which only makes single malt under the names Edradour and Balechin. Very different tastes but both very nice. Just down the road at Crieff is the GlenTurret distillery which used to be 'Famous Grouse' (blended) and Glenturret (single malt) but that changed hands recently so we don't know quite where that's going at present.

If that's not enough, I am only about 60 miles from the big whisky area of Speyside where there are about 50 distilleries.

Bearing in mind that there are over 120 whisky distillers in Scotland and I would say that, on average, they sell probably 20 different whiskies each... possibly more, limiting yourself to one is a bit like saying you like chinese food because you eat sweet and sour pork.

FWIW I tend to favour the 'Highland' and 'Speyside' traditions and if I were to have to list my least favourites, I would probably cite the Strongest flavoured Islay brands like Lagavullin and Laphroaig which are very heavily peated and have a strong Iodine note to the taste. Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's all a matter of taste, and there are times when they are quite palatable.

Rob
ImageImageImage