Tires - Availability That Is

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Jeff in W.C.

Tires - Availability That Is

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

Wow! Tires for the monoshocks are extremely limited. My local shop could not locate any, and they use several of the larger distributors in the US. I searched online and had trouble. There was limited information on both the manufacturer's and retailer's sites. And, they contradicted one another at times. :x After searching online, I found one set. Not just a manufacture type, but only one set of tires. There may be more, but I couldn't find one. I have a set of Continental Conti Go's on order to be delivered. :D I'm crossing my figures that nothing goes wrong. Otherwise, I'll have to mix and match (front tire Company A, rear tire Company B), or I'll just have to wait until some become available.
Last edited by Jeff in W.C. on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
melville

Re: Tires - Availability That Is

Post by melville »

I have ContiGos on my R75/6 after previously exclusively Michelins. They're grippy and seem to turn in easier than the Michelins, but there also seems to be a bit of a weave with them. I'll be servicing the head bearings this winter to see if that may be the issue.

I will say that it also may have been a rider adjustment thing, as the 'weave' dissipated over a 2000 mile trip I took to Montana last summer.

Thanks for the post--it's reminding me to get ahead of the curve regarding tires as I expect I'll need three pair in the coming year to replace the currently half worn tires on the /6 and /7 and the 1985 tires on the RS when I reanimate it.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Tires have been an issue for much of 2021, with some sizes being discontinued by the manufacturers, like the Michelin PR2s for my Oilhead. Finally had to buy a set of different rims ( 17 rear) to find a rear tire. Ran into limitations on my newly acquired K75, Chaparral had some BT46 that fit so I was covered on that one.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I just got a pair of BT46 Bridgestones. They are a new model that come in original sizes.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
gspd

Post by gspd »

Tire choice can make or break any bike.
The problem with internet tests and reviews is that only YOU can actually test your tires on your bike while riding as you ride.
Tires that are top rated on bike 'X' can be horrendous on bike 'Y'.

I use dual purpose tires, F90-90/21 & R130-80/17.
When my trusted front MetzelerTourance became 'not available' this past June, I switched both F & R to Michelin Anakee ADVs.
Both are top rated brands, both are excellent rated tires.
I prefer having both my tires of the same make and type.
This is not based in science. Just personal preference. Your opinion may differ.

NOW...My bike is no longer the same bike.
MY bike, the one I've blissfully ridden for over 500,000km (exclusively on Tourances for the last 350,000km), is no longer 'familiar'.
Performance wise, some aspects are waaay better :D , some aspects are waaay not better :x .
I've put about 12,000km on the Anakees since June and the jury's still out.
The bike feels so different now that I'm still in the process of re-learning to ride it.
I'll have a more detailed report on the Anakees after I wear them out or crash. :o
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
gspd

TIRE WEIGHT

Post by gspd »

Sorry if this is a hijack of "tire availability" topic.
Not much going on here so I thought I'd vent.

The $69,000 question: Should tires be FUN? or DURABLE?

It seems that many manufacturers are reluctant to publish the weight of their tires.
Not the weight rating (or load rating), it has to be printed on the tire by law.
I mean the actual weight of the tire.
It looks like my front 90-90/21 Michelin Anakee ADV weighs about 3 pounds more (!!!!) than a 90-90/21 Metzeler Tourance.
3 EFFIN POUNDS of EFFIN unsprung weight, all rotating around the outside circumference of a 21 inch rim.
Holy crap!
Haven't even researched the rear yet. I'm scared to.

The GOOD of the heavier Michelin (front):
Straight line stability is like on rails now due to the increased gyroscopic effect.
Dual compound (hard in the middle, soft on the sides) should make it very durable.
I get about 12,000 to 15,000km from a set of Tourances.
The Michelins (F&R) still look almost new at 12,000km.

The BAD of the heavier Michelin (front):
The whole bike feels generally heavier, a LOT more effort is required to change direction.
This extra rotating weight definitely has a very subtle but noticeable negative effect on braking and acceleration.
Not as smooth on bumps and potholes.

THE UGLY of the heavier Michelin (F&R): (the deal breaker)
I can no longer feel my front tire contact patch through my fingertips, steering feels dead, it's like wearing thick mittens, very hard to read the road surface at or near the limit.
As for the dual compound rear.... skidding the rear tire to get sideways to initiate a powerslide harder to do because the skidding tire grips abruptly as soon as it leans. Powersliding on Tourances is so easy (and fun) in comparison, maybe that's partially why they wear out so fast.

I'm choosing FUN! That's why I ride. Also, I hate crashing.
I hope my Tourances become 'Available' again soon so I can replace these Michelins. I want my old bike back!
It's sort of a matter of life and death; The confidence to barrel into corners with abandon (motocross/flat track style) on any surface, all the while knowing that front can't tuck in is priceless. I really really miss that.
Mechanic from Hell
Jeff in W.C.

Re: TIRE WEIGHT

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

gspd wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:19 pm Sorry if this is a hijack of "tire availability" topic.
Not much going on here so I thought I'd vent.
Venting is good -- at times.

My original post was venting about the availability of tires, so I don't see it as a hijack when you're venting about the lack of availability of your preferred tire. Your comments on the comparison are also worthy. The Continental Conti Go's are several tires down on my preferred list and I have no idea how the bike will ride with them. Time will tell. I wonder how my bike will ride with the Continentals; however, I was forced to change tires anyway since Michelin no longer makes the Pilot Activ's.

So keep the conversation going however you (or someone else) wishes.

On a side note, the tires are scheduled to be delivered sometime today. Yea!
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
gspd

Post by gspd »

In over five decades of motorcycling, it's the first time I've been slapped in the face by an overweight tire.
I always assumed that similar type tires of the same size would be very close in weight; now I know they're not.
This is the first time I've personally experienced how badly extra unsprung/rotating weight can really eff up a bike's handling.

Now I really completely understand why some racers I've met were so fussy about tire weights, and why carbon fiber rims and such are not a luxury/vanity item for them.

I really don't know why tire weight is not in most manufacturer's spec sheets.
How can I guy compare tire weights if they're not properly listed anywhere?
No dealers have all the competing brands (and sizes) in stock so you can't just go in and weigh them.
Amazon 'shipping weight' for any specific tire varies by supplier, so that method is out.

In all fairness, if anyone tried my bike with the heavy tires they probably wouldn't find anything wrong with it.
I notice it because I rode it for so long with the lighter ones and know how amazingly it handles when properly shod.
Last edited by gspd on Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanic from Hell
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

A lot of the really good tires like Pirelli's can be much lighter. It makes a big difference. Like GSPD, I find it really shitty that they don't include weight in basic specs.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
gspd

Post by gspd »

Zombie Master wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:59 pm A lot of the really good tires like Pirelli's can be much lighter. It makes a big difference.
On a positive note...
Every tire gets (a bit) lighter as it wears out. :?
Mechanic from Hell