Gear Position Indicator

Wanna talk BMW K bikes? Here's your home.
mkj

Gear Position Indicator

Post by mkj »

I left my K75 out in the rain overnight just once, unfortunately the speedo/tacho glass (plastic actually) did not seal and water got in. The G.P.I. kind of works but I no longer get a neutral light. I realise the switch is in a very awkward place so I have not yet looked at it but soon I will be investigating and wonder has anyone worked on this issue.
SteveD

Re: Gear Position Indicator

Post by SteveD »

Might be moisture in the switch rear of the trans. Dry it out, see if it fixes it.

If so, goop the sensor with silicone to protect it.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
richard t

Post by richard t »

my K75 would get moisture in it. years ago I drill a small hole to let it vent Seens to solved the problem hair dryers are useful in some cases
mkj

Post by mkj »

I took the plunge , all or nothing put it on the ramp. removed the fairing to get the instruments out, changed the GPI display board behind the tacho screen, still no change, then removed the swinging arm to GPI switch and still no change. I tested the switch and the new switch was good, so I now search for the misconnection between the two , and would you believe it, behind the little black rubber gasket which all the pins go through connecting the panel to the wiring harness, a loose pin and a blown circuit in the printed board. I bypassed the fault with bits of wire and for the first time in years the GPI indicator worked., even the neutral light.