Parts sourcing - Top-End Rebuild?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
kmisterk

Parts sourcing - Top-End Rebuild?

Post by kmisterk »

‘80 r100t

Hey all.

Based on my Last Thread, I'm preparing for the potentially worst-case scenario in that I have to do at least a connecting rod bearing sleeve replacement job (and all seals/consumables along the way), and at worst a full crankshaft replacement and all that entails.

So my question is this:

My local dealership has what I presume to be OEM (or OEM replacement) bearing shells for 32.99 a piece. I'd need 4 of them.

Whereas, this pack has all 4 halves I'd need for less than half the full 4-set I'd need of the ones that the dealership is offering.

Should I not risk the potentially lackluster performance of the parts from ebay?

Furthermore, is there anywhere that sells a reputable "kit" that includes all the basic replacement parts and consumables you'd need to go through a job like this?

Also, any recommendations on things to watch for, common mistakes, etc? I've seen enough youtube videos (Boxer2Valve, Chris Harris), and have done a fair amount of research on some of the basic steps on getting to the crankshaft, and my plans are to not remove the pistons from the cylinders, instead electing to pull the wrist pin, as I don't want to have to deal with reinserting the pistons.

I'm nervous, and hopeful, that the *only* issue found is slipped connector rod bearings, and no extra damage. Fingers Crossed.
Last edited by kmisterk on Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technology and Web enthusiast. I also like motorcycles.

Boxer Biker Log
Kurt in S.A.

Re: Parts sourcing - Top-End Rebuild?

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

I'd check with Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage.

http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com/

Kurt
kmisterk

Post by kmisterk »

Kurt in S.A. wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:02 pm I'd check with Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage.

Kurt
In order to source parts? to inquire about the process?

Boxer Biker Log
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

I saw the the source of the eBay items was EME, they have a good reputation as to the quality of their spares. You can always contact them directly by phone and talk to a tech to see whatever else they can offer in your repair.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
kmisterk

Post by kmisterk »

jagarra wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:19 pm I saw the the source of the eBay items was EME, they have a good reputation as to the quality of their spares. You can always contact them directly by phone and talk to a tech to see whatever else they can offer in your repair.
Thanks for the reassurance! I'm happy to hear this, as they seem to have a *ton* of good bits and pieces for these bikes. Browsing through their eBay store now.

Boxer Biker Log
gspd

Post by gspd »

Personal experience (some bad) has taught me to stick to OE BMW parts, but, hey, it's your nickel.

I have no clue what your attachment and long term plans are for this bike.
I would tear it down for an accurate complete diagnosis before investing one red cent.

Depending on your budget and the projected value (real and/or sentimental) of the bike once repaired, NOW is the time to inspect valves, valve guides, cylinder bores, pistons and rings.
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
kmisterk

Post by kmisterk »

gspd wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:47 pm Personal experience (some bad) has taught me to stick to OE BMW parts, but, hey, it's your nickel.
Yeah. This is something I am struggling with. I’d love to maintain OEM sourcing, but it’s more than double the cost for seemingly reputable alternatives.
gspd wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:47 pm I have no clue what your attachment and long term plans are for this bike.
I would tear it down for an accurate complete diagnosis before investing one red cent.

I would really like to do this but due to where I’m able to do this kind of work and time restraints involved with that location, I need to have parts available in order to execute on any work at the same time of taking it apart. I know this is counter intuitive but I don’t have much for other options yet.
gspd wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:47 pm
Depending on your budget and the projected value (real and/or sentimental) of the bike once repaired, NOW is the time to inspect valves, valve guides, cylinder bores, pistons and rings.
I definitely plan to do this. Inspecting the top end components for wear or non-wear damage.

Thanks for the tips, as always.

Boxer Biker Log
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

kmisterk wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:05 pm
Kurt in S.A. wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:02 pm I'd check with Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage.

Kurt
In order to source parts? to inquire about the process?
Tom knows the bikes inside/out...he's a BMW trained mechanic running his own shop...he even used to race an S1000RR or some such a while back. He can get you the parts you need based upon your VIN and/other descriptions or specs. I don't think he'll build a Swiss watch for you, but can certainly make sure you are headed down the right path on the process.

Kurt
kmisterk

Post by kmisterk »

Kurt in S.A. wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:45 pm
Tom knows the bikes inside/out...he's a BMW trained mechanic running his own shop...he even used to race an S1000RR or some such a while back. He can get you the parts you need based upon your VIN and/other descriptions or specs. I don't think he'll build a Swiss watch for you, but can certainly make sure you are headed down the right path on the process.

Kurt
Roger. I will reach out and see what comes of it! Thanks for the tip.

Boxer Biker Log
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Have you tried Motobins or Motorworks in the UK? UKP33, USD40.

Btw, which model? It helps anyone reading to add it to the initial post.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.