Mystery Saddlebag Rack

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
damienbove

Mystery Saddlebag Rack

Post by damienbove »

Hello i have a mystery saddlebag rack, i bought it for my BMW R75/6, but it does not fit, i have since found out i have a LWB model from mid 73, but i dont think it would fit any R75/6. I bought BMW Saddlebags complete with rack.

i would like to sell the rack on as I have had it fixed (it was cracked so needed a weald) and powdercaoted. Yes i know i shoudl have double checked i had the correct one before going to the trouble, however i have no idea which BMW it of from. its a BMW rack as it is stampled with teh BMW logo and came with some original saddlebags. can anybody recognise it, please note the orientation of the bottom bracket, the hole is for a virticle bolt rather than the usual horazontal
IMG_0957.jpg
IMG_0957.jpg (612.42 KiB) Viewed 777 times
IMG_0957.jpg
IMG_0957.jpg (612.42 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Attachments
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg (434.15 KiB) Viewed 777 times
IMG_0958.jpg
IMG_0958.jpg (537.23 KiB) Viewed 777 times
SteveD

Re: Mystery Saddlebag Rack

Post by SteveD »

I'm guessing R65? See where it attaches...

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 21-51-23 —ALL BIKES.png
Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 21-51-23 —ALL BIKES.png (621.76 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
damienbove

Post by damienbove »

thanks Steve, thats spot on, brilliant - after seeing the cost of a replacement rack, i did think about making a bracket to bridge between the rack adn the bike frame, but i will see, its a massive help knowing how to list these like new brackets for the correct bike
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

Is that a single piece rack or are you holding two single sided racks together for the images?

Rob
ImageImageImage
damienbove

Post by damienbove »

its two sepreate sides held together
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

damienbove wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:55 am its two sepreate sides held together
Ah... in that case. I think (as has already been said) that it's the type of case that was supplied for R45 and R65 machines. It will also fit very early short wheelbase /5 models.

On the longer wheelbase models, the lower struts bolt to the outside of the exhaust hangers while the R65/R45 version bolts to the top.

The racks supplied for Mono machines also attach at the top but the struts are a different shape and are not mirror image due to there being no need to avoid a left hand shock.

It might be possible to adapt these to fit your machine but it would probably be easier to source a pair of the correct racks. They aren't hard to find. It's a shame really, the ones you have look to be in really nice condition... perhaps you can get something back for them.

Rob
ImageImageImage
damienbove

Post by damienbove »

thanks Rob, i have the fittings so i am going to attach them to the bike, most of the bolts line up niceley, and i am going to see if i can fabricate a bracket to connect the stuts to the bike, if it looks like a dogs dinner i will get some replacemnets, as you say these are in fantastic shape so selling them shoudl cover the cost of replacements.

but i apprecaite everybodys help with this.
damienbove

Post by damienbove »

Right Guys, after quite a bit of headscratching i decided that it was possible to make a bracket to convert the R65 rack to fit the R75, i planned on 3D printing one, (its not load bearing), but low and behold the holes on the right hand side of the bike are differnet to the left, so no dice on that idea.

so i will now be selling the rack, thanks for your help i know what to list it as.

chuckle