Rear Trunk/Top Case Alternatives - R1100RT

Discussion about modern BMW twins
kmisterk

Rear Trunk/Top Case Alternatives - R1100RT

Post by kmisterk »

Hey all!

I have a 99 R1100RT with I believe factory stock side bags and a top case. They are decently sized for day-to-day use, but I am fixing to do a longer journey through another part of the country where at least a few days in a row, I'll only have the bike for storage of luggage/clothing/souvenirs, etc.

Considering the stock mounting points (ideally thinking the top case), are there options out there that are drop-in replacements that are better suited for long-term travel, such as a bigger top case, or perhaps a sort of drop-in mounting system that can allow straps to be placed in order to use more traditional luggage/bags/suitcases?

Thanks in advance; hoping to hear from y'all!
Technology and Web enthusiast. I also like motorcycles.

Boxer Biker Log
richard t

Re: Rear Trunk/Top Case Alternatives - R1100RT

Post by richard t »

Givi makes a topcase that is pretty large I also use a tank bag. Randy Mellon long time poster here could show you how to pack enough to last a year
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Re: Rear Trunk/Top Case Alternatives - R1100RT

Post by Rob Frankham »

OK, heres me jumping in with unwanted advice :roll: ...You probably are well aware but...

Be very careful how much weight you put in a top box (case). It's very tempting to keep stuffing stuff in, especially if you're going on a long journey. The location of the the top box is probably the single worst place on a bike you can put extra weight... cantilevered out beyond the contact patch of the rear wheel. The weight itself will tend to lift the front wheel of the ground and, dynamically, every bump the back wheel goes over will tend to reduce pressure on the front wheel. This can turn a stable bike into a nightmare... DAMHIK.

Using side mounted panniers is a better solution as is strapping the additional weight to the rear seat and debateably the best place to put additional weight is in a tank bag (although space is obviously limited).

Rob
ImageImageImage