Failed Diode board replacement

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
endo85

Failed Diode board replacement

Post by endo85 »

Hi everyone,

I've a 1995 R100R which suddenly developed unreliable starting with the starter barely turning over. Load tested battery, checked connections, grounds etc and eventually found one of the large diodes was open circuit on the main diode board.

Rather than replacing with the same OEM part I've looked at more modern alternatives, most of which are combined rectifier/regulators.

I'm not necessarily looking to have one that's Lithium compatible. I've been looking at RR45 by Electrex in the UK, but it's quite a big unit (110x80x30mm). I think if I remove the two upper rubber mounted bolts for the original diode board and fit the new unit on the remaining two bolts (perhaps with a smaller spacer) I think there'll be enough room behind the front cover.

Although the manufacturer has not made any recommendations about placement, I would rather fit outside of the engine casings away from heat but there's no obvious room to fit this on the top of the frame.

Has anyone fitted an Electrex, or fitted and can recommend another unit, or has any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Re: Failed Diode board replacement

Post by Rob Frankham »

Personally, I wouldn't move away from the original... after all assuming the failed one is the original, it's lasted 28 years and there is no guarantee that a 'more modern' non OEM board will be more reliable. That being said, if it's a recifier/regulator, will it fit in the space vacated by the original... Outside the engine casing in an airflow is always good for high current handling electronics.

Rob
ImageImageImage
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I've used a thunderchild diode board for decades. A worthy alternative, but the oem are also good.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
RPGR90s

Post by RPGR90s »

Stay with the oem style at least. As SteveD points out, the Thunderchild is an excellent replacement. I've had one on my R90s for twenty years with zero issues.
endo85

Post by endo85 »

Thanks all for your replies and advice. Much appreciated.
endo85

Post by endo85 »

After reading everyone's feedback and looking at all the available options, I've opted for the Thunderchild rectifier. It appears to be an improved design but fits with no re-wiring or different mounting needed.

I must mention that support from John at Thunderchild was outstanding. I happened to mention that I was going to replace the cable that goes from "Y" on the stator to an L spade connector to the diode board, as the spade connector had some internal corrosion. He offered to make one up and ship it with the diode board!