the unmoveable seat on an R75/6

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
damienbove

the unmoveable seat on an R75/6

Post by damienbove »

Hello all, once again i ask for your combined wisdom to resolve a tricky issue.

its a long story but the seat on my BMW R75/6 became a bit wtisted when the bike fell over in the garden, and took the weight of the bike on the prop i had on the frame, (as i said it was a long story) the seat popped back into shape immediatly however i am unbale to open the seat. the botton on the relase (which was always a little stiff) just does not go in.

i have tried to take the little side pannels off the bike so i can try and get tools in underneath but i am n0ot realy getting anywhere. any clues on how I might remove a seat that is locked down?

id rather not have to replace the seat if i can help it.

thanks guys
melville

Re: the unmoveable seat on an R75/6

Post by melville »

There are two phillips head screws that hold the latch mechanism onto the frame. If you take the right side panel off the bike you should be able to get a screwdriver on the screws from the other side.

**pause while stepping out to the garage to check**

Yes, with the right side panel off you can reach the screws if the tool tray isn't in the way.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
damienbove

Post by damienbove »

thanks Melville

i tried to access from the left hand panel but i woudl not free it from the frame due to the lifing handle, but i will have another go on the right hand panel, fortunatley the tool tray was not in when the damage was done

i will report back
damienbove

Post by damienbove »

Hello Melville, i forgot to come back and thank you, this worked a treat and i was able to get the steat up, the brackets had bent which was causing an alignment issue, i hammered them straight so we are back in business - thanks for the advice.