KATDASH for Better Lighting?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
jackonz

Re: KATDASH for Better Lighting?

Post by jackonz »

Rob Frankham wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:07 am Hi Phil,

Thanks for that. I understand now. Looking at the 'Tridon' flasher units and the associated wiring diagrams, it makes perfect sense.

It's worth noting that the connections and pins of the 'Tridon' unit aren't the same as those of the 3 terminal unit used in later airheads. The stock unit requires a dedicated ground connection. In this, it is like the majority of generic three terminal units and the terminals are respectively Live, Ground and Output to the switch. The Tridon unit, on the other hand, does not require a dedicated ground connection. The terminals are Live, Output to switch and Output to repeater lamp.

The important point to take away is that a stock BMW three terminal unit (and indeed, the vast majority of generic replacements), will not work in the same way.

Even though the Tridon units don't seem to be commonly available in the UK, it's worth knowing that this option exists...

Thanks again

Rob
No problem Rob, only to happy to help.
Seems i was just lucky with the Tridon Unit with my local supplier being very helpful, i was a bit concerned when I took delivery that it had no ground but at least it works.

I may try fitting LED lamps in the original indicators next.

Phil
Phil J

Nelson NZ.