Bean-can woes

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Blapper

Bean-can woes

Post by Blapper »

Hi guys,

Hoping for a miracle. I had a spare bean can which I stripped down to nothing for vapour blasting due to it being very heavily corroded. The plan is to put Tri-Spark ignition in it but keep my hybrid bean-can to carry as a spare (I don't trust electronic ignitions from any source). However, when I had tapped the nose bearing out I found that it was so soft that it was damaged by the drift and so was the oil-seal. Those parts are not listed. Bugger.

I wonder if anybody has an old bean-can laying around? It is the later electronic hybrid type, not the contact breaker type.

I would be eternally gratefully. Happy to pay costs.

I live in the UK.

Thanks.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Re: Bean-can woes

Post by Rob Frankham »

Not sure which bearing you mean but would this help...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165655795246 ... R8y2uMPAYw

Rob
ImageImageImage
Blapper

Post by Blapper »

Hi Rob, Thanks for replying.

No mate, that's the tail bearing. The nose bearing is in the flange end of the bean can body.
Blapper

Post by Blapper »

Ok guys, found a bean-can body at Motorworks.

Thanks.
Rob Frankham

Post by Rob Frankham »

Blapper wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:05 pm Hi Rob, Thanks for replying.

No mate, that's the tail bearing. The nose bearing is in the flange end of the bean can body.
I did wonder... FWIW, I would put the nose bearing at the end furthest from the drive... but that's just a matter of semantics. Glad you have found a body, hope they didn't charge too much.

Rob
ImageImageImage
Blapper

Post by Blapper »

£25 which was 'ok' I suppose.

I picked the Tri-Spark because I haven't seen any bad things written about it but I would have preferred to stay standard.

I was very surprised to find a number of issues with the Tri-Spark Compass kit as supplied. I emailed Steve Kelly and to his credit he responded quickly, agreed with me and said he would alter future kits. I like his honesty.
Rob Frankham

Post by Rob Frankham »

£25 is pretty good bearing in mind that second hand cans go for North of £80 at least and much more if you buy from a dealer (and that is often an exchange unit).

Rob
ImageImageImage
Blapper

Post by Blapper »

The £25 was just for the machined body with oil seal and bearing Rob. Not a complete can wth guts. I'm still happy though.