R80 Mono single disc

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Brickboy

R80 Mono single disc

Post by Brickboy »

Hi all,

Is it worth the bother and expense (which seems considerable) of a twin disc conversion? Are the brakes really any better?

And, pannier rails. Are they the shiny silver type or do other types fit too?

Thanks,

Simon
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Re: R80 Mono single disc

Post by Rob Frankham »

They are considerably more powerful... whether that equates to 'better' is a diferent thing. They are powerful enough to put you on your head if you abuse them. On my Mono R80RT, they are very nice to have, given the additional weight of the fairing. Whether they are needed on a 'naked' machine is debateable.

If you are talking BMW OEM, the chrome loop rails are the norm but, towards the end of the porduction of the marque different panniers were introoduced that require a 'Z' shaped frame. I'm pretty sure these will fit all monos. The loop type racks were also avaiplable in a black finish for the twinshock models... don't know if they were available for the Mono.

It's important to bear in mind that the racks you need are dictated by the panniers... or vice versa. The Krauser panniers and the first 'Touring' Panniers all fit the loop type racks but not the 'Z' racks. The later 'city' cases and and 'Touring' panniers will fit the 'Z' racks but not the loop rails.

If you go 'aftermarket' various manufacturers have produced racks for the mono airhead. Hepco and Becker are currently producing racks that look very like the OEM Loop type offerings but I have heard that they won't fit the original panniers.

Rob
ImageImageImage
Brickboy

Re: R80 Mono single disc

Post by Brickboy »

Great, that's very helpful. Thanks Rob :)