Voltage regulator questions

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Re: Voltage regulator questions

Post by Rob Frankham »

FWIW, I didn't include it in my answer because it doesn't answer the issue in the thread. Yes, I still believe it to be a worthwhile mod but lack of it is unlikely to cause the issues raised... and fitting it will probably not improve them.

Rob
ImageImageImage
Jeff in W.C.

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

I was having similar issues with my 88 R100 RT. While I was doing other work, I ended up replacing all the wiring to the alternator, the positive and negative cables, and the alternator brushes. I'm not sure which one or if it was a combination of things, but now my charging is strong. Many of the wires that I replaced were hard and sheathing was brittle.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Years ago, I replaced the multi-terminal cable that connects on the backside of diode board to the three phases on the alternator. I think I was putting on the solid mounts (my board had the rubber mounts) and noticed that the multi plug had corrosion build up in it. Got three separate thick cables from Rick at Motorrad Elektrik. Might be something to investigate.

Kurt
Jeff in W.C.

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

Kurt in S.A. wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:42 pm Years ago, I replaced the multi-terminal cable that connects on the backside of diode board to the three phases on the alternator. I think I was putting on the solid mounts (my board had the rubber mounts) and noticed that the multi plug had corrosion build up in it. Got three separate thick cables from Rick at Motorrad Elektrik. Might be something to investigate.

Kurt
Those were some of the wiring harnesses that I replaced. There is more than one site to purchase replacements and you could make your own wiring harnesses, I purchased replacement ones from Euromoto Electrics.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/3220.htm
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash