How much does you bike owe you???

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Ross

How much does you bike owe you???

Post by Ross »

Way back in the late 70s when i started riding my parents said it would be cheap transport for me. HAHAHAHAHAHA. 14 bikes later it sure is not.

My LT cost me $6500 to buy 3 years ago. It has cost me nigh on $7000 more to keep going.

So how much does yours owe you????
Me wittle bit of the web........http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: How much does you bike owe you???

Post by Airbear »

Ah now Ross. Don't you go thinkin' just in dollar terms. Think of the adrenalin rushes and big grins you've had in return; getting those by snorting nose powder would have cost a whole lot more.

Back on topic, my sweetie cost $3k + about $5k (so far) and I don't begrudge a single cent.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Hi Charlie. Its been a very expensive month for Sophie. New coil and the omega system (which I bought last year) + the new clutch thrust thingie I ordered today. So it has made me dig deep about how committed I am to Sophie. Yet when I rode her around today to check what I had done to get her back on the road I just love her. Love the feeling of riding her. Yet deep in the back of my mind is the thought of how much she has cost me. More than any bike I have owned in fact. Yet I so love this bike.
BoxerTwin

Post by BoxerTwin »

R100/7 cost me $3,200
have paid out about another $2,900 - $3,300 in the last 5 years.

can probably sell it for $3,200 :-(
Buy land. They ain't making any more of the stuff.
Will Rogers

1977 R100/7 dressed up like a R100s
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

I've owned my bike for 31 years. And you guys know all of the damage I've done in just the last few years.
I'm on my 3rd engine, 2nd gear box and I destroyed one of the beautifully rebuilt heads (thank you anyway, robtg) with my own stupidity.
The bike hasn't cost me so much as my brain has.

And then there are tires and insurance and goodies....

But I think I'm still happy. I'll let you know in a couple of months.
boxertwinjeff

Post by boxertwinjeff »

My R75/5 Greta cost $7,000 to buy, and probably by end of April will have spent
in the vicinity of $ 1,500 in total for work, accessories, & bits n pieces. Worth every cent, as hobbies are gonna cost ya.
I get back much more though in Satisfaction & Fun!
1973 R1000/5 LWB
1976 R90S Silver Smoke
Sunbeem

On Offsetting One's Sprockets.

Post by Sunbeem »

I've much to thank previous owners for, electronic ignition, dual plugs, stainless pipes, high-rate alternator etc.

Easter 2008, I paid £420, plus my old Armstrong MT500, (worth about the same).
The only major expense so far, new timing chain and one sprocket, was offset by selling the hi-rate ( heard they suffer from heat), and going stock. Thanks to this site, there was no labour cost.

Last annual inspection, I promised to put new duct tape over the tears in the seat cover, and was awarded a pass.
Nothing is too good for the old girl.
And that's how much she owes me.

Sunbeem.
One day more -- one day less.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

$5600 for Matilda , an 83 ST .She's in pretty good shape ..I THINK, but she wouldn't start this morning and on inspection the spark is weak and thin .She starts ,dies , starts dies ,just won't keep going .I suspect the ignition is tired .Mr Ausherman reckons that means a coil on this thread ...http://www.boxerworks.com/forum2/viewto ... g&start=10

Ross ,where did you get your coil ? Tilly's got 2 (she's twin plugged ) but one might have to do .Dollars are short and kind under pressure .
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Ross

Post by Ross »

Sibbo wrote:$5600 for Matilda , an 83 ST .She's in pretty good shape ..I THINK, but she wouldn't start this morning and on inspection the spark is weak and thin .She starts ,dies , starts dies ,just won't keep going .I suspect the ignition is tired .Mr Ausherman reckons that means a coil on this thread ...http://www.boxerworks.com/forum2/viewto ... g&start=10

Ross ,where did you get your coil ? Tilly's got 2 (she's twin plugged ) but one might have to do .Dollars are short and kind under pressure .
I got mine from Munich Motorcycles in W.A.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

I'll email them for a price .Thanks Ross .
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead